Thursday, September 03, 2009

Me Vs Van

I drive a mini van. Sometimes I wish my mini-van was anything but a mini-van. I often wish I was driving something much more me. More fun. Less blah. Something less like every other Mom. But I am practical. My van is mine. It runs well. I don't need anything else. I just like cars. And I often wish I had the money to have all the cars my little heart desired.

Right now I would like to drive something like this for my Mom car. For practical purposes. But I want it red with a white top. Totally unique. Totally me. And less blah.
But if we were going to put all practicality aside I would get this. I mean it does have four seat belts, so maybe it is practical. Today I drove this car. And it was hot. It was fast. And I think I drooled on the gorgeous red leather sears. I had forgotten how fun a car can be to drive. And how great a hot car like this truly is. I was reluctant to take it back to the dealership. I wondered if I just drove it home if they would just take my van as a fair trade. I mean it is way bigger. Sounds fair right? I wondered if I kept it for two hours if they would notice. And I tried desperately not to fall in love. But I am not sure if I succeeded.
And then I parked it. And I looked at my van. And I felt a little sorry for it. Did it know my heart was not with it anymore? That in my heart I look at it and think.. oh, it's you. That I secretly wish it would be gone in the night and something else would show up in it's place. My poor van, it doesn't have very much love.

While it isn't my ideal. While I may not love it. It is practical. It is ours. And it serves its purpose well. And so my van and I will continue on our journey with each other much longer. And I will gaze out the window and try not to lust after other cars that are less blah and more me. Because after all, it is just a car.

No comments: