Friday, November 06, 2009

Done!

I made a goal to read the Book of Mormon in one month. I started this after our last General Conference and listening this talk by Elder Jeffery R. Holland. I loved his sentiments and his feeling for the Book of Mormon. And in 29 days I read all 531 pages of it.

I have felt extremely blessed for reading the Book of Mormon in such a short time period. I am more patient and kind, especially with my family. I have felt the outpouring of love from my Heavenly Father. There has been a calm peace with me at all times. The Spirit has been stronger in my life and I have been more in tune with things that I should do. My testimony of this great book has grown. I love what Elder Holland said, "I want it absolutely clear when I stand before the judgement bar of God that I declared to the world.. that the Book of Mormon is true." I too declare that I know the Book of Mormon is true. It has the power to change our lives for good if we let it. How grateful I am for the Book of Mormon. It has truly blessed my life.

I am so grateful for Elder Holland's talk. It was bold and powerful and you knew without a doubt that he knows the Book of Mormon is true. Take a moment and read the talk, and then read the Book of Mormon.

This is one of my favorite parts:

For 179 years this book has been examined and attacked, denied and deconstructed, targeted and torn apart like perhaps no other book in modern religious history—perhaps like no other book in any religious history. And still it stands. Failed theories about its origins have been born and parroted and have died—from Ethan Smith to Solomon Spaulding to deranged paranoid to cunning genius. None of these frankly pathetic answers for this book has ever withstood examination because there is no other answer than the one Joseph gave as its young unlearned translator. In this I stand with my own great-grandfather, who said simply enough, “No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so.”

I love this Book. It has the power to change people for good. It is another testament of our Savior Jesus Christ. I love reading the accounts of the Nephites when Christ came. The blessings they felt. I often wish I could have been there to see that great day. I am grateful for the Spirit it brings. How blessed are we to have such a great Book. And how grateful am I for the inspiration I needed to read it, to do better, to be better, and to love this Book more.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Congrats! That is a great accomplishment and a wonderful way to strengthen your testimony of that great book!

MadMadameMim said...

Good job, and thanks again!
It was an amazing experience, just what I needed.

tharker said...

A month! That is really fast!! Our ward R.S. is doing a 50 day challenge, and I'm having a hard time keeping up with that...I don't know if I could do it in 30 days ;)

I wish you still lived here. Elder Holland is coming to our stake next Sunday for a special stake conference. I am SO excited, and cannot wait to hear what this great man has to say.

Lauren said...

good job Lee Ann, that is alot of work. I have actually done it also, and it is amazing how much your life is improved, and how much more you get out of the BOM.

Lisa Christine said...

Well done! I need to follow your lead :)