Friday, May 14, 2010

Quitter

I am a quitter. Normally I wouldn't admit that, much less broadcast it, because in most things I don't quit. But today I did. And I don't feel the least bit bad about it. My brother, and his wife and her sister are doing a sprint tri-athalon this July. They invited me to bike with them today. They planned to do 12-14 miles. I decided I could totally do that and agreed to go. Mind you it has been almost two years since I have actually ridden a bike.

I went. YAY me! I biked off road on this crazy trail where I was scratched by wild rosebushes. I went up and down over bumpy bumpy rocks, across a wobbly board/bridge thing. I wasn't super fast but I kept going. And then I saw a snake. Black and yellow and all creepy. CREEPY!!! I was done. Like so done. That pretty much ruined my ride. I was sure every stick I saw was then a snake. I don't like snakes at all. I freak out when I see a snake in a cage at the Zoo. They are lucky I didn't have a complete melt down. Instead, I quit.

I have no problem admitting that 4 miles of off road riding made me pretty tired. It was hard. But that snake. That snake was creepy. That snake ruined my ride. I'm a quitter. And I'm not ashamed.

And I was pretty wiped after 4. No one should try to do 12 when they haven't done any for almost two years. That was dumb.

1 comment:

MadMadameMim said...

sometimes there is nothing smarter than knowing your limits. It doesn't have to be quitting, just being smart.
Snake?! You didn't tell me about the snake! Yeah, I'd be done too!