Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pomeroy Fair 2010


In September of 1997 I went to the fair.  This is one of the only pictures I have from the fair.  Me in my AWESOME FFA jacket with my steer that I wanted to kill.  He was mean, I didn’t like him.  I was glad that someone was going to eat him.  I would have killed him myself if I would have been given the opportunity, but I wasn’t.  This was the last time I attended the Pomeroy Fair, for over a decade.  That makes it sounds like a really long time.  Today however I changed that.  I decided my kids need to learn a little bit more about where I am from and what I love.  So off to Pomeroy we went.  Things I love about Pomeroy, after all this time, it is still the same fair I went to 13 years ago.  And it makes my little heart happy.  It makes me a little nostalgic.  I love Pomeroy.  The slower pace of life.  The familiarity everywhere you go.  And the small town life.  I was so excited to share this with my kids today.
First off, how many fairs can you go to and let your kids run around without feeling like you have to watch them like a hawk?  This was the first one my kids had ever experienced, it was great for them, and me.  The kids took off to explore and came back with their faces painted.
My Little Miss, the pink cat.  She was thrilled.  Me, I am not really that into face paint.  But this was about them, so whatever.  And really, I don’t think it looks much like a cat.  She loved it and that is what matters.Little Man.  Where’d he go?  Where’d he go?  Okay, enough stupid humor.  I think it’s awesome he is camo man.  Love the serious look dude.  I bet no one is going to mess with you.Then the face paint was itchy.. so he took it off.  And somehow he got two dollars.  He had been telling us how he wanted to win a fish.  We told him no.  He took his two dollars and won two fish.  AWESOME.  We don’t have a fish tank.. or bowl.  Heck, my house is completely torn apart right now, we need two fish.  We now have a bowl and two fish.  He is thrilled.  Me.. we’ll see how long they live.
See the tiny fish.  He loves them.The fair was awesome.  It is little.  It is fun.  It is everything I hoped it would be for my kids and my little family.  I was able to see many people I love and haven’t seen in years.  I loved every minute.  And so did my family.  In fact they are already talking about next year.  I think we just started a tradition for our family.  We loved the simpleness of it.   It’s small, quaint, and simple.  The way a good fair should be.

1 comment:

Lisa Christine said...

I have told my kids that we can't have any kind of a pet that lives in a tank (snakes, fish, etc.) Too much work :)

Love the face painting! So pretty. My girls wanted to get their face painted at the fair here last month...but they were out of luck because I didn't want to pay for it. You are much nicer than me :)