Thursday, March 08, 2007

It's midnight, where do you want to be?

At home in your bed asleep right? That is where I prefer to be. Snoozing away and getting some much needed rest. Last night I went to bed early for me 10:30, I was quite proud and realized I would get close to nine hours of sleep. Jealous? Well don't be.

Shortly before midnight I hear this awful noise followed by I *gasp* can't *gasp* breathe. Nothing like those words to jolt me out of bed. Thankfully while I was sleeping Randy was in with Little Man. I go running in and he has a horrible bloody nose, (he gets them often, just like I did when I was a kid.) And he is wheezing horribley. It was awful. I could hear his chest just rattling and his cough sounded awful. I am asthmatic and he has never ever shown any sypmtoms of being asthmatic, but I was worried he was showing them now. After listening to him and trying to get the bleeding to stop I decided we needed to go to the ER, NOW! Randy got him loaded in the van and he stayed home with Little Miss while I drove like a bat out of ... a cave to the ER. I was flying down the road and figured if a police officer stopped me he could just rush him there himself. His breathing sounded so bad. And honestly I was feeling panicky.. I was trying not to, but it scared me. I know how awful it feels to not get enough air and it was breaking my heart. I didn't want to see my baby boy struggling. I was terrified he had asthma. Or that he was choking on the blood from his horrible bloody nose.

We got to the ER and I grabbed him and ran in and pushed the little doorbell button they have for people who are having chest pains or trouble breathing. I didn't even take time to read it until later I just pushed the button and was like someone help me now. He got checked and his 02 sats were at 88, not good. She listened to him and assured me it was very smart to bring him in. They had my sign him in and we were taken back to a room. Poor Little Man was so sad and his cough was getting worse. Thankfully the Dr came in quite soon. He came in and said Hi Momma, it sounds like a bad case of croup. I looked at him and I am sure I looked quite shocked but I said really, croup? He hasn't been sick at all, are you sure? He said the cough is the give away, but we need to do an X-Ray to make sure that is all. They gave him some oral-prednisone and then off to X-Ray. I could hear his breathing greatly improving. Prednisone while it is not my favorite drug sure works great. The X-Rays were good and it was in fact just a bad case of croup. After 2 hours at the ER we headed home with a little boy breathing easier and my heart beating less rapidly and offering many prayers of thanks.

Little Man woke up at 5AM, he ended up with about 6-7 hours of sleep as opposed to his normal 12. He is doing much better, and is currently napping. HALLELUAJAH! Cue the angels singing.

8 comments:

Misty said...

Oh my goodness! Poor boy! And poor you. Midnight ER runs are not fun!

QueenMeadow said...

How scary!! Breathing problems are never any fun, especially for those of us that are in "charge" and need to take care of the kids. ((hugs))

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Wow, that is scary, Lee! I'm sorry you went through that, but I'm glad it was something they could easily treat.

Kim said...

Very scary! My oldest did the same type thing when he was 6 months old. Woke up in the middle of the night in June and couldn't breath. You were very smart to take him in. Good Job mama!

Rachelle said...

What a scary experience! I'm so glad he's ok.

Melissa said...

Scary! We've done the midnight run to the ER before too... so, I feel for you. I'm glad he is okay and napping!

Dixie Chic said...

Oh, man. What a fright for you- and him! I'm so glad to hear it's "just" croup, and that he's doing much better. Whew!

Meemer said...

I'm glad you took him in. that would scare me.