Saturday, January 03, 2009

January 1st... January 2nd.

January 1st and January 2nd are special days to me. Not because it marks the New Year, or because of resolutions. (Remember I don't really do those.) They aren't because of your typical reasons.

January 1st is my Grandpa's birthday. This year marked 100 years since his birth. He passed away when I was pregnant with Little Man, June 23, 2001. I think of him on January 1st every year. I wonder if my Dad feels old knowing his Dad is now 100. I have reminisced about my Grandpa and some of my favorite memories.

My Grandpa was bald. Like maybe 100 hairs graced the sides of his head. He was bald and had a shiny head. He always loved my thick hair. Whenever I would go visit Grandpa he wanted to brush my hair, brush my hair, and brush it some more. He would blow it dry and ask if he could cut it off to glue on his head.

Grandpa fed my dog food when I was four, I ate it willingly. (I still remember this.)

Grandpa always gave us money to run to the candy store to get us all sugared up. It isn't my fault I love sugar so much, it is his. He started me out young.

Before leaving Grandpa's house we would get a handful of change, sometimes with silver dollars, and often it would add up to more than ten dollars, I always loved my handfuls of change.

Grandpa loved ice cream. He loved to dish us up our ice cream. If we had a cone and ate all of our ice cream out of it we could take it back and get a refill. This was one of my favorite rules at Grandpa's house. Grandpa loved ice cream so much that when I was in High School I watched him dish my ice cream up for me. He scooped it, and then licked the spoon before each scoop. I still giggle about this. Only Grandpa.

Grandpa had the longest prayers, and being the irreverent child I was I timed them a few times, they went over 6 minutes often. But Grandpa prayed for each of his children, their spouses, grandchildren and great grandchildren. He loved each of us so much.

Grandpa had a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He did his best and served the Lord until he passed away. He devoted his life to God.

Grandpa loved to garden. He always had beautiful flowers, and the best garden in town. The year he passed away he killed his front yard with round-up. He had ordered 1000 Gladiola's to be planted in his yard. My Dad went to his house and tilled the ground and planted them all. Sadly Grandpa passed away before they bloomed. But the Church had flowers from Grandpa's yard all summer long until they sold his home. Grandpa's flowers were always the biggest and the prettiest.

And Grandpa loved Grandma. And it broke his heart when she died. He missed his sweetheart everyday.

January 2nd was my Grandma's birthday. And she too would have been 100 this year. I love that their birthday are just one day apart at the beginning of the year. It couldn't have been more fitting.

Grandma was an amazing woman who was driven and worked hard.

Grandma could give the look over the glasses when you were being naughty that stopped you in your tracks. My Dad does it now. But now I almost giggle, because I see Grandma.

Grandma would eat anything that we made her, good or bad. And she would say on those dishes that weren't quite so wonderful Mmmm.. this is extra good.

Grandma crocheted blankets for all of her Grandchildren for their wedding day. She had an amazing talent and could make the most elaborate afghans, I think I have the best one she ever made. But I don't tell my cousins that.

Grandma always had the best treats in her cookie jar, and she would let you eat as many as you wanted.

Grandma always made comments on my crazy socks or shoes, especially when I was in High School. She would look at them and say those are sure nice. Maybe I should some for myself. I loved that even though times had changed she made a huge effort to know me, and to be interested in what I was interested in.

Grandma loved her pretty jewelry. She was always wearing her earrings, a broach that matched and possibly a necklace. She wanted to look her best. And now I have some of her jewelry that I wear. I always think of her when I put things from her on.

Grandma was a wonderful cook. You never left her home hungry. She made sure you knew where food was and that you were welcome to eat it.

Grandma knew the Church was true. She lived the gospel fully in her life. She was always an example to me of the way I should be.

Grandma passed away my senior year of High School, February 22, 1998. I saw her that day. I was able to hug her and tell her I loved her. I knew I wouldn't see her again in this earthly life and my heart broke. I love my Grandma and it was hard to say goodbye, but we knew she needed to go, her body was tired and she needed the rest.

January 1st and January 2nd are special days. I get to remember my Grandparents, and I am so grateful to have them. Grateful to be part of their posterity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed!!!

All my grandparents died before I was born, except one: my father's father, and he lived until the age of 92, I still remember him practicing music on the violin and listening to it outside his room.

It is wonderful to have loving grandparents. What a blessing for you!!

Hugs!!
Stephanie

Kelli said...

I still remember Arnold scooping us up ice cream and licking the spoon after each scoop!hahaha!

tharker said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents. They sound like they were remarkable people. Thanks for sharing about them Lee.

Shmobby said...

Lee I loved this post. Without even knowing them,I feel like I love them, too!

By the way I had no idea you weren't private anymore...and I only started blogging again a short while ago. And I have a confession...I call my Little Man that, too...even at home. So I started calling him that before I realized you were using it again! Anyway, I'll be showing up lots catching up... :)

amanda said...

I am glad you were so close to your grandparents. It is nice to have them as examples. If only our generation was like theirs.