It is Lupus Awareness Month. I know so many people who want to know what Lupus is. I found this great video that really explains it well. Thank you Good Morning America, and Lupus Foundation of America! It is a great way to get a quick explanation but in a way that is very understandable. I was diagnosed over eight years ago, I had symptoms for over a year before I got my diagnosis. I had just turned 18 when I was diagnosed.
I am really wanting to help people to understand the disease, to know what all it entails. I know people who think just because I look fine that I must be okay. I struggle with letting people know when I need help, or that I am having a hard time. I don't want to appear weak, or like I can't do something on my own. My wonderful husband is ALWAYS there to tell me to slow down, or to help me. The thing about it is you have good days, and you have bad days, and they can be back to back, or they can last for months on end either way. You never know, you can't predict this disease.
Even though there are times that I don't want to admit things aren't good, I want the word out there. It is not fun to go through this alone. I have friends who have it, and I feel a bond to them, I know they get it. They get that some days just suck, and it is hard to explain. They get that you are trying your hardest and that sometimes you feel like you got the short stick. But they also get how much you learn and how much you realize you are strong and you can do this.
I hope I can be an advocate to help others to learn about this disease. As my kids grow I really want to start working on fund raising for the Lupus Foundation of America. Also I know there is a chance my own kids and grandkids might get this disease, I want to help to find a cure, and get better drugs out there. There hasn't been a drug created specifically for Lupus in 40 years, that is too long!! If you are interested in supporting the LFA you can buy the bracelets posted above, "Someone you know has Lupus" for $1.00. I have them, I have given them to my friends. Some wear them, some don't. But they are part of me. It helps me to get the word out. And my friends that wear them they have no idea how much it means to me.
There are lots of things to be aware of this month. Support your cause, or a cause that touches you. It just might save a life.
Edited to Add: I am doing a Lupus Walk this weekend, if you would be interested in donating, please go to my page. Thanks so much! I am hoping to raise $200.



2 comments:
I liked this post, Lee. I have a longtime friend that was recently diagnosed w/Lupus and it's been pretty rough. I guess hers affects her stomach when she eats certain things (throwing up for 20 minutes straight in a mall trash can because she forgot the smoothie had frozen yogurt in it). She's been put on a strict vegan diet and NO sugar. I guess the meds she's on are helping w/the fatigue, though. Anyway, there's so much about this disease I don't know, but I'm learning more each day. I'm starting to take up running and hope to 1 day be able to run in a charity event for Lupus (amongst other things).
Sheri, your friend is lucky to have a friend like you that cares! If you want any info email me at lee1201(at)msn(dot)bom
Post a Comment