Monday, February 19, 2007

It's My Life Monday!!! A Growing Experience!


I think we need some theme music for this. My Life Monday- Can you feel it? What a great topic Rachelle! A growing experience.. since I am tall I should have a lot of these! :) Yeah I do think I am THAT funny.
I seriously have so many things that I think have made me grow. And have made me stronger in my life and who I am. I think my biggest one though is my health overall. It started when I was born. My poor mother. I cannot imagine all of the heartache and pain she went through. When I was 10 days old at my check-up my doctor heard a heart murmur, and did an x-ray and saw that my heart was bulging and was in the shape of a boot. I was sent to Children's Hospital to see a pediatric cardiologist, Dr Stanley Stam. I had a heart cath done and they found that I had a VSD (hole in the heart in the ventricle). I was sent home on meds and scared my mom to death. This was 1980, they were not nearly as knowledgeable as they are now. When I got home I was running a fever so my Mom took me to the hospital where my pediatrician Dr. Olson met us there. I was put in the hospital and given IV's and all sorts of antibiotics to fight off whatever it was. After getting tests back they found out I had Staph infection in my blood. Not a good thing. With all my problems the doctors told my Mom to love me as much as she could love me and grieve like Hell when I died. How do you handle something like that as a Mom? I don't know but I am in awe of my Mother. In case you were wondering, I didn't die. After a few weeks in the hospital I got better, I still had my heart problem but I got better, and I came home. I was on heart medications and continued to go to the doctor often but when I was five my heart was finally normal shape and the hole had closed. It was a miracle. You would think that would be all right?
My Junior year of High School I got asthma, and not just mild, it is severe. I went from being able to do anything outside and around fire to even smelling smoke and having my lungs shut down. It was a hard and scary adjustment, as often I couldn't even get a word out because of my asthma, and well if I can't talk you know it is serious. I didn't realize how bad it was at times until I read my medical chart, let's just say I am grateful I didn't know at the time.
Right after High School I was diagnosed with Lupus, yes another thing. But thankfully this has not been as hard on my body as everything else. It is mild and I just say it is another thing to put on my death certificate. Seriously though, there have been struggles and trials with it. But not like many people I know so I really cannot complain.
Then there have been all of my surgeries, including the one I blogged about last summer. So what is my point to this? I do have one. My health from birth has not been a strong point for me. But you look at me and you would never know. I look fine and for the most part I feel great. I have my cardiologist I visit every other year to check my funky valve, my asthma dr, my rheumatologist, who I get to see today, and then my woman dr, and my regular family practice. Seriously that is too many. Through this is all there have been times where I have wondered why me? What did I do wrong? But those occasions are rare. I normally think about all of my blessings. I have grown so much spiritually through all of this. I would never wish them away because what I have learned is worth so much more. I know without a doubt that my Heavenly Father loves me. That I am a daughter of God. I have felt the love of my Heavenly Father at many times. I know he is so aware of me. I learned to love the scriptures and to read them for comfort and peace. I love 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
I have grown so much spiritually. I have had people tell me they are sorry, don't be. We all have trials in our life and well, this is mine. But I am so very grateful for it. And I know it is something I will deal with my whole life, but with this great gospel I can feel my Savior's love and know he loves me. What a great blessing in my life. There are the days I don't want to think about any of it or deal with it, and I live in denial half of the time, because ignorance is bliss. But I also look it straight in the eye sometimes and know that when I am feeling alone there is one person who fully gets it. My Savior. My testimony is strong because of all I have been through, I feel so grateful that my Heavenly Father knew me well enough to know what would help me to grow, to turn to Him. When Randy and I were married there were people who thought my health would be hard on us, but it has brought us closer. He is 100% supportive of me all of the time. My health in general has been a great growing experience for me. How is that for long winded.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Sometimes our weaknesses are our greatest strengths. It's awesome that you have been able to find that. I know a lot of people who can't get past the "poor me" stage. Kudos to you for your awesome attitude!

tharker said...

I just read a book about being grateful for our ALL of your blessings instead of focusing on our trials and problems. You are a wonderful example of this Lee!

I know that the trials that I have were meant to help me grow and I like you wouldn't trade them because I can see the growth after the trial.

Thanks for sharing your story, you are a super strong woman, and a great example to your kids. They will love this about you!

Allison said...

Yea....you rock! Love the scripture. thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

What you wrote meant so much to me. Thanks so much for sharing! Love ya!!!!

Rachelle said...

You are so strong! You have been through a slew of health problems, but are an example of endurance. I learned a lot about you through this post!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

You have been through A LOT of crap with your health. I've always admired your positive attitude about it.

Also, thanks for pointing out that you didn't die. I was worried.