Monday, March 26, 2007

My Life Monday- My Personal Philosophy


How often do we see someone and judge them? Judge them by their looks, they way they behave, how they talk. I know I am guilty of this. Not something I am proud of either.


I was talking with a friend today, she is 36 weeks pregnant with her 3rd boy, and she had to make a trip to the Doctor last week with her almost 2 year old needing 20+ stitches on his eyebrow. She had one of THOSE days, you know the ones where your kids have colds, they aren't looking wonderful, and you haven't showered yet and have a variety of hodge podge clothes on. She rushed out the door wearing her husbands shoes that were too big so she could get her bleeding son to the Doctor. She was relating the problems and how some of her clothes were to small and she felt like she looked like some crazy crack momma. If you knew her, she is anything BUT that. She worried she was judged.


I have been the mother in the store with my children screaming that I am so mean, and they don't want me. Bawling on the floor, and I silently pick them up and carry them outside, trying hard to bite my tongue so my kids won't react even more. I have felt judged that I cannot control my kids. That I let them run wild without a care. That I am not a good mother.



No one wants to be judged, and I think in this world we are often quick to judge. I saw this story, which you should watch.. with a box of kleenex. Those I have judged are always different than I first thought they were. In this world, we so often are in a hurry. We are quick to assume, assume that people are not kind. That when things are said they are said out of spite, not out of love or concern. I often wonder what the world would be like if we took a step back and said maybe they are trying to show love and concern. They aren't trying to judge, to be hurtful. People aren't intentionally that mean are they? I think not. I think we as in everyone should look for the good. To the Child who is hurting, offer them help, love them. To the Mother with the screaming Children, smile, don't frown and glare. To the Mother who isn't put together, realize she sacrifices so much for her children. To person who speaks to you and leaves you feeling uncertain, believe in who they are, give them a chance.


I will try to be kinder, speaker softer, look for the good, and realize we are all trying on this long road. We are all growing, and learning. And we are all working to return to Him. He who loves us, and does not judge us.

5 comments:

tharker said...

This story was so sweet and touching. There was a little boy in Hannah's class last year that I thought of while watching this. I was so hopeful that he would be in her class again this year, cuz I just want to take him under my wing and protect him. I know he has a terrible at home life and I fear that the teachers are going to write him off the same way that this teacher almost did for Teddy. I hope that he will be as blessed as Teddy and get a teacher or another adult to see his potential. Who knows, maybe he'll be in Hannah's class again next year, then I can watch over him. I just adore him. Thanks for sharing this inspiring post.

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Cried and cried, Lee! Not fair!

That was very sweet, thank you for sharing it. Wish I could go hug my sleeping kids.

Rachelle said...

You are awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

Belladonna said...

Years ago I went sledding one fine winter day with one of my college professors. The inner tube I was on hit a bump, went flying and collided me into a tree. My face looked rather like meat loaf for several days, then went from purple and blue to sickening green. While grocery shopping with my husband during that time he would get the MEANEST looks from strangers, and I even had one lady walk up to me and say emphatically "honey, you really do not have to take that sort of treatment!"

At that point my beloved refused to be seen with me in public until I healed. I couldn't blame him.

So often when we judge we really do not know the whole story.

Phae-Jae said...

VERY well said. Thank you!