Sadly this happened the first weekend in June.. and it is almost July and I am just now blogging about it. Life has been busy busy.
We arrived for opening ceremonies at
Mc Chord Air Force Base. Walking in there and seeing all of the athletes there was an amazing Spirit. It was overwhelming.
I loved seeing the soldiers standing their with the flags and so still. I asked if I could take their picture and it was fun to see them make sure everything was just so.

And then there was the Flag.. which represents our freedom. I was truly overwhelmed with emotion. I meant to blog about this on the 4
th of July, but I was gone and didn't. Since September 11
th, 2001.. I have a new found appreciation for this great country I live in. How grateful I am to live in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave. I am grateful for the men and women who serve in our military. Who lay down their lives to protect our country. I cannot hear the Star Spangled Banner and not have tears in my eyes. I am truly grateful to live in the USA. To have these great freedoms bestowed upon us. Being on the Air Force Base and seeing all of the many soldiers my heart was overwhelmed with gratitude. And then seeing the great kids in Special Olympics the tears came. And I had such an overwhelming feeling of love. Love that our Heavenly Father has for us. And Love that He has for each of those there with a disability of some sort. They are such great Children of His. And for those that raise them and were entrusted with their sweet spirits... and for the love He has for each of us. What a true blessing.

The evening continued with Opening Ceremonies.. each team was announced as they walked in. They were positively thrilled to be there. It was a great event to watch. 
The next morning we went to watch the swim meet. My sister was among the younger of the athletes. She did a great job in her first race. Then the second and third I think she got scared.. no one is really sure. She swam part way on the 2nd and on the 3rd decided it really wasn't for her and didn't get in. Oh well.. she will do more another year. It is great to go and watch everyone cheering one another on. With excitement and vigor. To see them uplifting one another and the true joy. They are truly excited for one another and for the successes. I think a great lesson can be learned watching the athletes. It was a feeling I won't forget. A feeling of love and gratitude. And I really think if you ever have the chance to attend a Special Olympics event of any kind you should. You will be a better person because of it.
5 comments:
I loved reading about this blog. I have been to the "Special Olympics" and they truly are special. I loved it. You brought tears to my eyes reading about our flag and our freedom. Thanks LeeAnn for a very inspiring blog.
Thanks for sharing your experience at the Special Olympics. I've never had the opportunity to see them myself, but can imagine they would be a very inspiring thing to participate in. What a wonderful thing to be a part of! Thanks for sharing!
What an awesome post! Thanks for sharing this wonderful time with us. As a former educator I had many exceptional students. During 3 years of teaching I attended the Special Olymics with our students. It is an experience that is so hartwarming and one that you will never forget. Many of my best students over my 20 years of teaching were special olympians.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Angela
K looks so cute in that picture...like you can see the excitement in her eyes! I'm so glad you were able to go with her...even if it was only one race.
Your sister is beautiful Lee I can't believe she has grown up so much since I saw her last. That is so much fun, I wish I could have been there to see that. I bet it was a triumph for her.
Post a Comment