Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Woman to Woman: Keeping you marriage alive



"Whether you've been married for 38 years, 8 years or are a newlywed, you've probably picked up a few of the keys to a happy marriage, one which is nurturing and continues to grow. Maybe your marriage has struggled, but you've found a road back to each other and have insights for those in similar situations. What would you say are the three most key elements in your marriage that keep the romance alive and the heart aflutter? "



In just a few weeks we will celebrate our 8th Anniversary. I can hardly believe that I have been married to this wonderful man for 8 years. It has flown by so quickly but somethings seem like ages ago. I feel as if I have known him forever. I gush about Randy a lot. I am head over feet in love with him. I never knew I would love someone this much. I never knew that marriage would be so joyful day in and day out.



Rule number 1 in our marriage if you are going to fight, fight naked. This rule is harder as our kids our older and no quite to the age to really be unsupervised, but it does work well. Who can be that mad when you are naked?

This rule also applies to keeping the "romance alive" in our marriage. For obvious reasons.

Another thing we do is get away at least once a year for a few nights away. Last year it was Las Vegas, this year it is Las Vegas again. Cheap flights and lots of fun! I book our tickets then my stomach churns.. and goes into knots. Do I really want to leave the kids for 4 night? Can I handle it? What if the plane crashes and I die? What if, what if, what if????? Thankful my wonderful husband kindly says dear, book the kids tickets they can come. And I come to my senses before any such thing happens, and we go enjoy our time and remember life before kids. And remember how much joy they bring to us. And the unity they bring to us. And yeah it keeps the romance alive, and it just keeps us closer and connected.

We don't go to bed angry, we talk about it. Sometimes we talk until 2AM, but we get on the same page and are 100% okay. It is important to talk about what is wrong rather than just ignoring it. And the small things really don't matter. We are both learning still to let things roll off. If it doesn't matter in the eternal scheme of things it really doesn't matter. This is something I really try to live by.. but there are those moments that well.. I don't. But each day I try to do better.

We laugh.. a lot. We joke we have fun. We know how much fun it is to laugh together. To love together, to be together. We try not to be too serious.. light heartedness and laughter keep us going and more and more in love.

Join in! Leave a comment and leave link at Mr. Linky at Morning Glory's and Lei's blogs.

12 comments:

Lei said...

You two seem to have a really fun relationship. Reading this makes me think we'd really enjoy double dating! Maybe someday. ;)

someone else said...

I smiled all the way through this. What a wonderful life you have developed together and you are so absolutely right on with the habits that you practice.

Real Life Sarah said...

You really fight naked?! That is something I might have to try. Great advice and a fun read.

Allison said...

Fight naked....if that was our rule, Aaron would be starting fights all the time!!! That was fun to read!

Montserrat said...

I've yet to talk my husband in to leaving the kiddos behind for even one night. One of these days I'll just book tickets like you do and make all the arrangements to leave the kids at Grandma's house.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

I am totally cracking up over your post. Fighting naked, now why didn't I think of that! LOL! And the taking time to go away every year. It would be hard to leave my children with someone else, but it would be worth it. Thanks for your tips. I might have to use some. ;)

Belladonna said...

YES to get away time. The rule my beloved and I have is

ONE night each week

ONE weekend each month

ONE week each year

Those times are to connect, to explore, to remember, to discover.

Sometimes it's very simple stuff like a drive in the country for a picnic. Other times it's more adventurous like the white water rafting trip we are looking forward to in a couple weeks or the vacation we took to Egypt.

But whether it is around the block or around the world - doing it TOGETHER gives us the glue to stay deliriously in love with each other!

Wishing you many happy years to come!

Melissa said...

Great ideas :) We used to try the "don't go to bed angry" thing... but I get angrier as I get sleepier. So the fights got worse and worse the later they went into the night. And my Hubby is the same. So, for us, going to bed and waking up with a fresh perspective helps us a lot. It's so great to see what works for other couples!

mumple said...

We're absolute idiots without sleep! If we're rested, I'm more rational--Kevin testifies to that on a regular basis!

He'd like if we combined our way and the naked way...lol.

Anonymous said...

Fight naked. I love that! I actually got the same advice from a friend a while ago, and while I'm certain it works, I just can't seem to get around to doing that when I'm angry LOL! Love your blog by the way!

Gran said...

What a great life you two have together. Please continue as you are and your relationship will grown more and more. Enjoy every moment that you have together.

I enjoyed reading your post. Have a wonderful new week!
Angela