Monday, August 06, 2007

4:45 AM

For the last 3 years we have not had a next door neighbor on both sides of us. We have consistently had a vacant lot next door, in the previous house and in this one. We actually really like it. Last week though.. that all began to change. The broke ground on the lot next door. And construction has begun. We were under the impression that you couldn't start being noisy doing it all until 7:00 AM.. early but manageable. 4:45 AM we heard noise. I thought it was a bad dream.. but then realized it was the workers on the house next door. The concrete truck pouring cement for the foundation. What is wrong with people? Seriously. Do they not get that we need to sleep. They were off to a new job by 7:15 AM. I know they are busy.. but we need our sleep. My kids don't need to be woke up at that insane time. They need there sleep even more than I do. I need them to have their sleep. There has got to be a law against this. It just seems wrong.

My advice for the day.. if you are going to do noisy projects in the AM, do it after 7.. mowing your lawn before then will certainly tick your neighbors off.. along with hammering anything. Hopefully this was a great error on their part.. It was dark.. maybe they couldn't tell what time it really was.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

When we lived in Oregon they built a church across the street from us. Not only did they work in the very early hours of the morning, they worked LATE into the night. So, they'd wake everyone up by 5 and keep everyone up till after 10. My kids were so miserable... hopefully this was just a one time deal for you guys! Good luck!

Life ticks on said...

Just so you know because I dont know where in oregon but for Portland I know there is a noise ordinance.

B. Night, weekend, and legal holidays limitation: From 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. the following morning, and 6:00 p.m. Saturday to 7:00 a.m. the following Monday, and on legal holidays, the permissible sound levels of Section 18.10.010 shall apply to all construction activities except by variance or for reasons of emergency.

This comes from this subsection of the city codes...
18.10.060 Construction Activities and Equipment.
(Amended by Ord. No. 159276 effective Jan. 24, 1987.)

Next time they keep you up or wake you up I would call the local police department and ask what the noise restrictions are for your area. Although I hope it doesnt happen again.