Friday, November 30, 2007

Done!

Every night when Randy and I go to bed we lay there and I talk, he listens and appropriately grunts, or makes a noise of some sort acknowledging my thoughts. This is part of our routine.. or should I say my routine. I love to just get a chance to visit with him about everything possible on my mind.

October 1st we were laying there, it was a Monday night and I had been talking to him about Church stuff. And I looked at him and said Randy, we should read the book of Mormon in two months. It is only about 9 pages a day, want to join me? As he states there was only one right answer.. and that is Yes, dear. I had been feeling rather blah, or stagnant. And I wanted to have more fire under me. I read my scriptures daily but I didn't feel like I was getting ANYTHING out of them, and it was just words going through my head. But I wasn't sure I was putting my whole heart into it. I needed something and having someone to do it with me would help to keep me motivated.

Three years ago my old neighbor who moved away, Tiffany and I read it in 30 days and that was intense. It was awesome! I understood what Henry B. Eyring meant when he said the Book of Mormon will change your life. I wanted that feeling back just as strong. I hadn't lost it all together but I wanted to have the fire going strong.

I figured since I did it in 30 days before 2 months would be cake. You would think it would be right? WRONG. Nine pages a day is really not that much to read. It could be done quite easily. Well as life would have it things got chaotic. I was doing good and then we had our house issues which landed us in a hotel for a week while the builder fixed the bathroom, recarpted, retiled and many other wonderful things. A family of 4 in one hotel room.. it was hard to find the time and the peace to read more than a few verses here and there. So I got behind. We had late nights where I had procrastinated from my early day readings.. I got behind. I read daily just not always all of the pages. I was worried I wouldn't finish in time. I sat down and calculated where I was at and decided if I did 20 pages a day I would be done early! Woo Hoo! Only I didn't stick to that schedule well either. With kids, my calling in Young Women's, my chattery self and wanting to do it all it would get shoved to the side and my scripture study didn't always get the daily attention I wanted it to get.

I read daily with intent to learn and with an open heart. I read 38 pages this Morning, and I finished it. It didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. But as I was reading Moroni this morning and thinking of all the things he went through I felt so blessed to have such a wonderful Book in my life. How often have I started the Book of Mormon and gotten stuck in 2nd Nephi, or made it through Mosiah only to have things taper off. How many times have I read the ending? Not nearly as many times as I have read the beginning. I read 3rd Nephi in one sitting. I loved every minute of it. I loved reading about the Savior coming, and blessing the Children. Oh to have lived at that time. I love this part of the Book of Mormon. Reading in Moroni about how he was hiding for if a Nephite was found and didn't deny Christ they were killed. The wickedness that was out there and persecuting the Church. There were many things I read that I could liken unto the days we are in now. I have a deep love for the Book of Mormon. I am grateful that even though my reading wasn't as smooth and perfect as I had hoped for that the feelings and the Spirit of it was still the same for me. That I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know that it was written for us in this day, and it will help us and guide us to answers. The Book of Mormon will change your life. It is a powerful tool. If you are needing a boost in your life I challenge you to read it. Pray about it, and set a goal and keep it.

If you haven't read the Book of Mormon and you aren't sure what it is that I, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believe please feel free to leave a comment and ask questions, or go HERE.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Great post! You have a fantastic testimony

tharker said...

That is such an accomplishment Lee! Great job. I can relate so well to what you were saying about going strong, only to taper off. I don't think I can even count how many times I have read up to 2nd Nephi. Once I get past it, I can usually fly. I love Mosiah and beyond. I guess this means that I really need to study 2nd Nephi more so that I can get to the point that I enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your testimony. You are awesome Lee.

Jen said...

Good for you! That's awesome. I really need to do better at the reading my scriptures thing...

On the church note...how did the whole changing the boundaries effect you guys? Are you changing wards or staying the same with new people in your ward? Just curious.

fivekidsandsomechocolate said...

You inspire me- as always.

megan said...

Well done! But what's this about you living in a hotel for a week?

Kris said...

Lee, I'm so very impressed. I love how you have a testimony of the Church and how you made a goal and accomplished it! Good For You! I love how you are encouraging and excited and you've motivated me more than you realize. And I don't even know you! So cool!

So I have a weird Question. Is this Tiffany friend married to Billy? Did they move to IF?? I only ask, cuz my friend Becky used to live by me (Pasco) she moved to IF, cuz her husband got a job. She told me about how Billy lived in the apartments in her ward til they bought a home. This might sound really random and possibly crazy, but I had to ask. Maybe it's not even the same person! I feel your pain with having a friend move. I miss Becky, but I'm adjusting! I'm in 1st Ward, what ward are you in? I'm assuming 3rd cuz you know Tiffani H. Ok, I'm done rambling!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so great. I didn't know you were doing that again. It is wonderful to hear how your testimony has grown, I could feel it as I read your post.

And Kris, I am the same Tiffany. There were actually three of us that moved from there into the same ward with in a nine month time frame. Go engineering and the nuclear Reservation following! :p

EarlGirl said...

Way to go! I'm proud of you for getting that done and sharing your testimony.

Nettie said...

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing this! I have to say that I frequently get bogged down in the Isaiah stuff, too. And then feel like I have to start all over again.