Thursday, March 19, 2009

Be Kinder.. To Ourselves.

Today I am going to get on my soapbox. One that I haven't been on for a while here on this blog. I need to say it.. hear it.. believe it.. live it.

It seems like so often we as women.. (and some men) get caught up in what we look like and if we were thinner, stronger, cuter, and so it goes we would be happier, our life would be better.. we would be wonderful. But guess what? We already are.

I have been reading different books lately, pondering, thinking. I hate our media. Hate it. I hate how women feel like if they don't look like the airbrushed women in magazines they aren't skinny enough, pretty enough, blah, blah, blah. And I am not excluding myself from this list of women who feels like this. And I often think why? Why do I do this? Why do wonderful women I know do this? It doesn't make sense. I look at women I know and see beautiful wonderful women. I don't see them and think oh.. you would be so cute if you were only five pounds thinner. Or if you could firm up more you would be perfect. I don't care what they look like. I care who they are. And who they believe they are.

I think we have these unrealistic expectations for ourselves.. and even others. Is that fair to us? To anyone around us? To our children? To our spouse? I don't think so. It doesn't teach them to love themselves. It teaches them to be critical of themselves. And my body, it is a gift. A most sacred gift from my Heavenly Father. Would I say such negative things about any other gift he has blessed me with? I certainly hope not. And how does a parent feel when their words and actions are being mimicked in their child.

I believe that Satan is doing his best to destroy the sacred blessing of womanhood. Destroying the blessings of Motherhood by making us feel like our bodies, the way we look isn't okay. That if we aren't the perfect size, with the perfect perky boobs, super flat non-stretch marked tummy that we aren't ok. But guess what? Heavenly Father made us each in his image. He didn't decide to make some of us funny looking so he could laugh at us. He is our loving Heavenly Father. He knew our bodies would change, but our bodies are beautiful. I wish that we could have the charity for ourselves to see ourselves as he sees us. He has blessed us with the ability to bear children. To create life. It comes at a "sacrifice" of the perfect body we had when we were teenagers. But wouldn't you rather have the imperfect body and be happy, rather than the perfect body and not have your children.

My friend Misty is one of the best examples of this that I know. She is beautiful inside and out. She gets serious stretchmarks from her babies, and she is still rockin' it. If I didn't have her I think I wouldn't get how very important this is. She is one of those people who just gets it. And I consider myself blessed to call her a dear friend. In fact one of my best friends. She believes she is awesome.. and her belief radiates and I truly believe she has charity for herself. She knows who she is. She knows the divine purpose of her body. And she sees it in every other woman she knows. She is one of my best examples of people I want to emulate. I want to have that type of self worth.

So today.. I am embracing my body. The stretchmarks.. the sagging. The 20-something body that is vastly different than it was ten years ago. But blessed many times over for all of the changes it has made. I will love my body for all it does for me. I will see my body as the gift and the blessing that it truly is. I will embrace my changes from pregnancy and wear them as a badge of honor for the gift of my wonderful children. They have enriched my life so greatly.

I am determined to be kinder with myself. Kinder with all around me. And I hope everyone can see no matter the shape or size we are all uniquely beautiful. Embrace your body. Go swim with your kids and don't worry about the crazy cover ups. Be proud of all your body can and does do.

4 comments:

Misty said...

*sniff*

I love you, Lee!

Allison said...

so true, so true.

love you!

MadMadameMim said...

you are awesome. I totally needed that since I went swim suit shopping Friday. But you are right, and I'm getting there.

MamaBird said...

Beautifully stated. You show maturity beyond your years. Bless you! :)