One year ago I was up at 4 AM. I was making sure I had everything I needed. I was getting my sleepy kids up and out of bed. And then we were off to the airport.
We had our dogs in their kennels ready to fly. I was doing my best to be okay. But my insides were twisting as each second ticked by. I was wondering what is happening to my life!!! And does moving 2200+ miles really make sense? But I was calm. I was collected. I had to be. And then it was time for the goodbyes. My heart hurt. And then I saw Little Man tears streaming down his face and he just hugged me. My heart broke, and the tears came. I was no longer strong. I was no longer calm, I didn't want to get on the plane. I didn't want this to be our future. But we sadly hugged our family and our little family went and boarded a plane to move across the country.
The first night I laid in bed wondering what we were doing here. How could I survive only seeing my family three or four times in a year. IN A YEAR!!! The thought made me want to throw up. Randy slept.. I laid in bed worrying. And then we had Church the next day. I wish I could say it was wonderful. People were kind, but I was a blubbering idiot. Anyone who asked me where we moved from, or if we were new was at risk of hearing my tearfully say, Yes, we're new. We moved here from Wa*sniff*sh*cry*ing*sniff*ton.. and I am sure they thought I was quite the basket case.
A year has passed. My heart doesn't hurt like it did. We survived it just fine. In fact it has been much easier than I ever anticipated. I still miss my family. I still miss home. But where my little family is, where I want to be. I can't believe the year went so quickly. We have made many friends. We have grown stronger as a family. And our kids have learned to behave quite well on an airplane. And I have learned I can live anywhere, as long as I have Randy, and my kids. We adjust. We adapt. And while we miss our loved ones, we are okay. And we always have the next visit to look forward to.
One year. Happy Anniversary of our big move to us.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I know, it's not that easy, after the first year we got married we moved to WA.
I guess at the time I was like a little kid, excited about moving,and it felt so right at the moment that it hadn't hit me that I was so far from my family, but then I realized I was spending hours daily on the phone with my parents, and that's when I realized how much I missed them.
Happy Moving Anniversary! Moving is hard, but it's so true - if we have our little family together, it can be okay.
It's hard to believe that you've been there a year already! I'm so glad that you are enjoying your new home and the lessons that you've learned from all this.
Thanks for the pep talk, I totally needed it! I am having a really hard time being away from my Mommy and Daddy... For this day you are officially my inspiration.
I now how you feel. We are so glad your family is here. Lets get together soon!!
you know it never occurred to me to celebrate our moving anniversary. Good for you. And good for being able to live anywhere, as long as it doesn't actually kill you :).
I'm so happy you're here! And I remember that Sunday and remember thinking you seemed pretty pulled together about moving across the country! You're obviously tougher than you give yourself credit for :)
Oh, and your hair is adorable! I love it.
Post a Comment