Thursday, February 04, 2010

More like Him.

I have been pondering in my life how I can be better. What I can do to improve myself, and who I am. I have thought of things I do and say and I wonder do my actions show that I want to be like Him. I hope they do. But I know they don't always.

I have been reading Sheri Dew's book, 'If Life were Easy, it wouldn't be Hard' I love it. I have read it before but I enjoy reading it again. Slowly. Taking it in. And last night I came across a paragraph that I had heard before, read before and loved before. And I have to share it.

"So on those days when we're not ready to stop being offended about something, not ready to forgive someone, still determined to give the silent treatment, and so on, what we're actually saying is,'Wait! I don't want to be more like the Savior today. Maybe tomorrow when I'm able to let go of some irritation or injustice.'"

I love this. I love the simple truths. If I am a more charitable person I can be more like the Savior. And it comes down to if I want to be a better person I need to be more charitable. Be more like Him. That is the attribute the describes Him the best, charity. I work to have charity for those around me. For my children when I am lacking in patience with them. When they are being unpleasant, I try to remember to see them as He sees them, and not to react in a way that will leave me feeling worse.

I read a blog today of a mother who recently gave birth to a sweet little girl who has down syndrome. It brought back the day when my sister was born over 13 years ago. I saw a beautiful and perfect sister. A girl I had prayed for since I was very little. A girl I loved more than any girl could love a sister. I was bonded to her instantly. That girl loves like no other, and she has charity for all those around her. She is an example of living like Him.

I want to be more patient. More understanding. I have come to truly see how you can never know what all is going on in someones life until you have walked in their shoes for a very long time. How grateful I am for my Savior who knows me individually. And for the charity He shows to me. It helps me to be more charitable towards myself. I believe we as women should be more charitable towards ourselves. I think often we beat ourselves up for the imperfections we have. We see our glaring flaws, and He sees how wonderful we truly are, the daughters of God that we are.

I want to be more like Him.

4 comments:

MadMadameMim said...

So I guess that means wallowing is not aloud. Cause I'm pretty sure he didn't wallow, not when he fasted for forty days, not when the disciples slept instead of kept watch with him in his hardest hours, not when the people spit up him and mocked him.

Hmm . . .
Thanks for the words. I needed to hear that today. Today I'm ready to hear that.
You are always so inspiring.

Company EIGHT said...

I love that quote too...it's one of my favorites. Thanks for writing this out--I needed to hear it too.

Malisa said...

This is lovely Lee. And I love you subtitle up top..."More than you ever wanted to know." :) Argh. Where are all the smileys?!

Kim said...

I love that quote too. Thank you for sharing these feelings. You're a sweetheart.