Monday, June 05, 2006

Something that represents me...



It is Monday!! My Life Monday nonetheless! Woo Hoo!!

Today's Topic: Something that represents me. I thought of that, because so often I am a Mom, and I feel like my kids represent me, but I had to find something, NOT someone.

So I finally decided on something that I feel represents me fairly.

This is my Piano. I love my piano. It is a very special item in my house, when we moved I even paid someone to move it, rather than risk anything happening to it.. I might of hurt someone if it had been damaged in the moved, that is how much I love it. A little info, I had a 1919 Chickering that I grew up playing, and got after I was married. It sounded awesome, BUT it looked like it was an old saloon piano, minus a few gunshots. It was pretty beat down. So in December I found this piano, a 1901 Chickering that I fell in love with. It needed to be restored so I had that done and the end of February it was completed. So it has an unbelievable sound and it is gorgeous!!

So why a piano represents me. I love music, it is part of me, and one of my passions. A lot of people are surprised to find out I have played the piano for over 22 years, much less that I am passionate about classical music. I am the farm kid who did FFA, played sports, and could do anything any boy could do. I am just as tough as anyone, so when I played a Haydn Concerto for a competition my Junior year of High School I about knocked the socks off of people. How did this crazy basketball player know how to play the piano? We thought she was just the Forward who fouled everyone.

I have enjoyed playing for hours at a time since I was little. I love the expression you get and the chance you get to bring the music alive. I love the way I can express myself, different composers help me to express different things I am feeling. When I sit down I leave the world of just a Mom, and it takes me to a place I have been able to do since I was a little girl. There is something magical about it. I love the opportunity to learn new challenging music, to push myself. It brings me so much joy.

In my living room my piano is the focal point, it is the first thing you see when you walk into my house. My Mom plays, and she taught me to love it. I want my kids to play, I want it to be part of my legacy.

7 comments:

Stacy said...

I have a circa 1900 piano as well! It was refurbished and I had my great-grandmother's piano stool refinished and they look like they came together (I think the stool is circa 1890?). I also love my piano... maybe I should practice playing it more often...?

Dawnyel said...

That piano is beautiful!! I wish I even had a keyboard, but I'm still too poor to even consider it! :) It looks really clean...probably one of the cleanest pianos I've EVER seen! :)

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I don't think I'd seen pics of it finished. It looks awesome!

QueenMeadow said...

I love listening to the piano, its one of my favorite instruments. But I cannot play it myself, I was hoping my dd would love it as much as I alas it did not happen :(, maybe someday she wont hate me so much for making her practice :P

Your piano is beautiful!

emlouisa said...

I didn't know you played the piano!! It's beautiful!!! And may I say that the clock above it is rather sexy too... ;)

Rachelle said...

I love a good piano and that one is gorgeous! I have piano envy now.

Erickson Family said...

I have a piano and I love to play it, although not many love to listen to me play! But it is a beautiful instrument and you are lucky to have this wonderful talent.