Yesterday in Sacrament Meeting we had a musical number, a violin duet. My Mom played her violin in her ward, but we weren't able to go. So yesterday I sat there listening to these two women play, thinking about my wonderful mother. Realizing what a beautiful talent it is to play such a gorgeous instrument. And wishing I hadn't quit playing so long ago.
I started playing the violin shortly before my 10th birthday, and I played until I was 12 and then I have touched maybe 10 times, tops in the past 14 years. Awful I know. At the time my Mom was concert master and seriously a phenomenal violinist, and I played the piano really well. The piano in my opinion was way easier to master than the violin. So I quit all lessons at that time and worked on sports and other stuff. Besides my Mom was so great and I was just learning and the piano seemed to be easier. I was first chair in my orchestra the little thing it was but I was not my Mom, so I quit.
Earlier in the Spring my Mom was going to symphony practice and was telling me I really should play again and start going with her. I laughed and said Mom I don't think they would let me play in your symphony, remember I haven't really played it in 12 years. And I am not that good. But since she said that to me I keep thinking about it. Could I? How hard would it really be? And then yesterday I thought man, I really wish I could play better. But I don't have my violin anymore, my cousin does. (Technically it wasn't mine it was my Great Grandpa's but whatever!)
We went to my parents for dinner tonight and I sat down playing on the piano and I saw my Mom's violin case sitting there. I LOVE her violin, it has such a rich sound that just radiates when she plays. I looked at it and thought I can play. I read music and I know how to do this so I am going to do it! I slowly got out the violin and wound the bow and got everything situated and thought man this sure seems a lot smaller than I remember. I played on a full size from the time I was 10, so now that I am a foot plus taller it doesn't seem as big or cumbersome. I pulled out one of my old books and thought yep I can read this and I can play this no problem. I didn't try to tune it, she had played yesterday so I figured it wouldn't be too far out of tune and I didn't want anyone to hear me messing around with it before I started to play. I was sure that since I had some simple music out that when I played it would sound beautiful, maybe even like my Mom since it was on her violin. Guess what? I WAS WRONG! It didn't sound beautiful, it didn't sound pretty, it didn't even sound very nice. It was AWFUL! Seriously AWFUL.
My Mom came in and was like ohh.. That is my violin making that noise. I thought you had your sisters little one (it is like a 1/10th size), not mine! But slowly as I practiced it started to sound a little better. Not a lot but a little. But it felt good to play. Even though even Twinkle Twinkle sounded pretty bad, there is a part of me that comes alive with music. Different from the piano and it is something I have missed for a long time. My Mom sees it in me. She thinks with some practice and hard work I can get my butt in gear and start playing with her in about a year. That sounds good to me. I think I can handle that. Once fall hits and things slow down I think I am going to buckle down and do this for me. Start working on playing it and get the sound and the quality back. Wake up that part of me that has been dormant and I will become once again a violinist!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Wow, good for you! I felt that way about piano and brought home a two-piano duet (where am I going to find two pianos in one room except my Master teacher in high school who had two GRAND pianos in one room!) for Aaron & I to learn. It was one of the most difficutl pieces I learned and when I performed it with my teachers so many years ago I remember how successful I felt. I really did have talent, but the scriptures are true that talents unused are talents lost! So,go after yours...I know you can do it!!
VERY VERY cool! Go you!
That's awesome! I really want (maybe need) to start playing the piano again and get good. I took years of lessons, but never really had the drive for it. We have a beautiful piano that never gets played. Maybe that will be my goal this winter.
My dad taught himself to play the violin recently. He started building guitars and then made a violin and taught himself. It's really neat.
good for you! the best thing we can do for ourselves is nourish the hidden talents. obviously you mom sees it in you. I am excited for you
VERY COOL! Thats awesome!
That's awesome! I've been trying to teach myself piano for 4 years now. SInce I only practice about 10 minutes ever couple of months, it's not coming along very quickly! lol
That's a wonderful goal!!! When you are playing with your mom, I'll have to listen to you play sometime!
Go for it, Lee. It will come back to you!!!
That's cool! I picked up a flute a year or so ago and tried to play. I was awful!
Post a Comment