Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Woman To Woman: "Share an important quote and what it means to you."


One of my favorite quotes is "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." -Gordon B. Hinckley
I have this quote above my pantry. I love it. It applies to many things in my life. I apply to raising my children. I shouldn't just endure everyday with them, I should enjoy them. Enjoy my kids in each of the fun busy stages they are in. Not quickly wish it away and count down until each week is over and the weekend is here. We should have joy in our posterirty. We should enjoy our kids. Take a minute to enjoy the simple things.. pretend we are in hot lava.. be silly. That is what being a kid is about. Looking back my best memories are when my Mom was a kid with us playing and having fun. She enjoyed us!
A big reason it is above my pantry is to remind me to enjoy my food. I have had issues which I have talked about in the past. The Lord wants us to enjoy our food, savor it. Not be obsessed with every bite making it a chore. It reminds me to enjoy a good meal, not to count the calories of everything. Life is not meant to be so focused on all of the details, and in our society it is and it honestly makes me sick anymore. People cutting, stuffing, dieting, doing all these things to look happy, and not enjoying who they are, and the great people that Heavenly Father has made them to be. A friend of mine once said will you really be happy if you lose those 5lbs. I thought about it.. a lot. Probably not. I am happy being me. I am who the Lord created, I enjoy my body now. Not just endure it. I am stretched and squished in all sorts of new ways, and I am freaking hot. I enjoy the way I look. I am uniquely me.
We need to enjoy the times with our spouse, the quiet moments where we can just be together. Not endure the years of marriage. Marriage is a wonderful and beautiful thing. The Lord didn't give us marriage to torture us for years. He gave it to us so we could enjoy it. Enjoy the companionship and to be blessed throughout the eternities. I enjoy each day with Randy. The fun and laughter he brings into our home. He helps me to not be serious and to realize it if it doesn't matter in the eternal scheme of things it really doesn't matter. I don't have to endure any day with him! I am blessed to enjoy each and every day with him.
I truly believe that Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. It is my motto, my mantra if you will. Enjoy it. It goes so quickly and is a great gift.
Join in and read others! Leave your link at Lei and Morning Glory's blogs!

10 comments:

Gran said...

Thank you for sharing your quote today. Life is to be enjoyed and I believe that we are to live it to the fullest. God wants us to love life and enjoy each of days and not to just endure them. Our happiest days are filled with family and friends with lots of laughter.
Have a good remainder of the week!
Angela
http://thelifeandtimesofgran.blogspot.com/2007/06/woman-to-woman-quote-day.html

Dee Light said...

I love this quote. Wouldn't we all be happier if we just took time to enjoy life, and not get caught up in the details.

Anonymous said...

I like this quote and it is so very true! Why spend an entire life just putting up with people and things when you could spend your time enjoying life and being happy!

Susan said...

Well said.
Susan

Melissa said...

I'm not sure if this will work... I'm having a hard time leaving comments today...
Thank you for such a great post! We had an Enrichment last night and one of the speakers talked about time management and how we spend our time... it was interesting to think about. I had to ask my self, "Do I really spend my time on things I enjoy?" Thanks for another thought provoking quote...

Lei said...

Fabulous, Lee! I have to admit, I snickered a little at "The Lord did not give us marriage to torture us for years." Good to remember! :P

EarlGirl said...

I love it! You nailed this one. I wish I could remember to enjoy my body when someone walks by me who hasn't had all the lovely renovations that come with having babies...I'll work on it :)

someone else said...

I totally agree that we should enjoy life. It is so fleeting and I don't want to look back and have regrets and unfulfilled dreams.

Thanks for sharing your joy.

MzAriez said...

What a cool motto.

Thanks for sharing such a good quote. Most people need to be reminded of this.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I read your blog. I love that quote above your pantry. I have thought of it often since I first saw it.