Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Strength of You

The Strength of Youth pamphlet is one of my favorite things published by the Church. Recently at our Worldwide Leadership Meeting Julie B. Beck was talking about how it is the Strength of You. I have been thinking about this. And thinking about the meaning of what she said.

This is something that we teach the Youth of the Church so that way they have all of the tools they need as adults to go into the world and raise righteous generations. I don't know that I appreciated this doctrine nearly enough as a youth. Now as I teach the youth of the Church I see the valuable tool that it is. It is something we teach the youth so they will live it forever. It doesn't just apply when we are young. It is for all of us.

We taught at a Conference this past weekend and we talked about it so much. I spoke to them about the importance of modesty.. I don't think that it can be taught enough! Explaining to the kids this isn't just guidelines it is scripture written by our Prophets. I know I have known this but it spoke to me even more. Our leaders have blessed us with scripture to help us in every situation, agency, gratitude, education, family, friends, dress, entertainment, music, dancing, language, dating, sexual purity, repentance, honesty, sabbath day observation, tithes, health, service, and faith. They have helped to clear the grey areas and have given us guidance and right and wrong. The path has been marked so very clear. I read it and think that it should be so easy, but sometimes it isn't. I re-read the pamphlet and I have been trying to apply it to my life even more. We can always do better, try harder. With it mapped out so clearly it should be easy right?

And my favorite part, because I feel so strongly about modesty.

"Never lower your dress standards for any occasion. Doing so sends the message that you are using your body to get attention and approval and that modesty is important only when it is convenient.
Immodest clothing includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and other revealing attire. Young women should wear clothing that covers the shoulder and avoid clothing that is low-cut in the front or the back or revealing in any other manner. Young men should also maintain modesty in their appearance. All should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle. Always be neat and clean and avoid being sloppy or inappropriately casual in dress, grooming, and manners. Ask yourself, “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?”"

2 comments:

tharker said...

This pamphlet is one of the many reasons that I have loved being in YW. I have had the opportunity to get to know The For Strength of Youth again, and what a blessing it has been.

I think as parents, it can be used as one of our best guides in leading our children.

Jen said...

I love the FTSOY pamphlet too! It was such a great resource when I was in YW. I'm so sad to not be in YW anymore. I lOVE that quote from the modesty section. I have always felt strongly about modesty on ALL occasions. I've already had difficulty explaining to my dd why some people (including church members) wear immodest clothing. Thanks for sharing!