In January I started Allergy shots. The hope was my allergic reactions to Indiana would get better. I received a few shots and then I got a bad cold, and then I had bad allergies, and my asthma wasn't too great to we had to wait. Finally today I was able to go in and get my shots. I had to start back at the beginning dose. I figured it wouldn't be too bad. I went in, they checked my peak flow and gave me four shots. I just had to wait thirty minutes and then I could go. Easy peasy.
My kids quietly read books in the corner and I sat there glancing through a magazine wishing the time would move faster so we could get on with our day. And as I sat there I felt like I needed my inhaler. My chest was feeling tight, and I was coughing some. I thought to myself, self, relax. Take deep slow breaths. And I coughed some more. And my breathing was getting worse. I read the sign on the door that said if you have any of these problems immediately tell the nurse. Coughing, chest tightening, shortness in breath, hard time breathing... and the list goes on and on. Surely it didn't mean me. I sat there longer. Waiting. Thinking. Being stubborn. And then finally as I continued to get worse I decided I should tell the nurse my chest was kinda tight.. like I needed my inhaler. She was quick to respond. Jumping up and whisking me back into a room. I was kind of shocked.. I could still breathe... my chest was just a little tight. But whatever.
Once in the room I was joined by three nurses and a doctor. Apparently everyone wanted to hang out with me today. I was quickly given a breathing treatment, and had my blood pressure, and my O2 stats checked constantly to make sure I wasn't dying on them. And then came the 5th shot, some epinephrine to open my airways even more. It worked. I shook. I tried not to laugh.. and be completely embarrassed. Seriously I had the weakest dose of my allergy shots they could give me and my body couldn't handle it. With all of the outdoor allergies so strong right now I can't handle anymore, even with three allergy medicines in me today. I believe Indiana is slowly trying to kill me. One allergy at a time.
After thirty minutes things settled down. And I was sent on my way. I go back next week to discuss a new plan of action. Evidently shots are now out of the question. At least those shots. And now I sit here rubbing my arm from my epi shot.. it hurt like a beast. And I am giggling at the strange adventure that happened today. Who knew?
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Only you would giggle about almost dying! Glad you didn't! :)
Oh man! Crazy! I'm glad you're okay. If they can't do shots, what do they do?
Holy cow!!! You poor thing. I hope they find something to give you some relief. OR-- you could just leave Indiana and come to Utah by us. (:
I'm glad the kiddos weren't freaking out. That would have made it much worse. I do feel so bad for you though. It's so miserable not being able to breath and suffer from allergies. On a happier note....I LOVE those glasses...they are HOT! Oh yeah...
Wow! What an experience. I hope they have something that can help you without causing more problems.
Post a Comment