"There is such a variety of baby products available in stores that it can be overwhelming. Add to that the pressure you often feel from your peers to have the latest and greatest of baby equipment. Add to that still the bombardment of products that promise to make your baby smarter, faster. When you want to be hip AND have those things that make mommying a little easier, how do you keep from breaking the budget?For those women who are past the child-raising stage, do you have difficulty with these pressures in wanting to provide the "goodies" for the grandchildren? Do you see them as a hindrance towards a child's natural ability to develop? What were some ways that you were able to achieve similar benefits without all the bells and whistles?"
I remember when I found out we were expecting Little Man. I was thrilled. And then I started pouring over the baby websites. What was my baby going to have. The best I could buy him. He was my baby after all and you only want your kids to have THE BEST. Right? Or so I thought.
I remember searching high and low for the perfect stroller car seat set. It had to match and it couldn't just be a cheap one, it needed to be nice, have bigger wheels and just look cool. I was 21 when he was born, I was still hip. I remember my Mom laughing that I wanted all of this matching stuff. She told me it didn't matter and to buy nice things on sale. I scoffed at this advice. This was my child, my offspring, he was growing in my belly. I wasn't going to buy something that I deemed mediocre. I bought my stroller and car seat that matched and was beyond proud of them. They were a nice blue and khaki plaid. Something that looked cool still.. I felt like he would be the hippest baby. I was proud of our choice, okay my choice. Randy was just glad it wasn't covered in Winnie the Pooh or something equally as dreadful. It was used by both children. A worth while investment, but I still giggle that I had to have a certain print. And that some just wouldn't do. It is incredibly silly and makes me just laugh now. What was I thinking? That really mattered to me then?
I had a boppy, actually I had two. One that my wonderful Sister-in-Law made me. She took hers apart to figure out how to make one for me. I loved it. And another that I entered to win online, and heck I did. I was shocked I won it.. but guess how much time I had been spending online looking for the perfect baby stuff.
I had a diaper genie, that was a gift, otherwise I would have never ever bought one. I am not a huge fan. I think two Wal-Mart bags work just as well, and heck they are basically free.
My crib set, I made it. It was simple, and I used it for both of my kids. It had animals on it and leopard print, and the alphabet. What is not to love. I was sure my son would be learning while looking at it. Did you know all he did was poop, pee, and puke on it. Really.. it doesn't matter what it looks like. They don't care, it is purely for you.
I have watched my kids grow and learn. I have wanted the cool new learning things. But when it comes down to it they play with them for a while. But they are quite content playing with blocks, wooden blocks that Grandpa made. The little things, the details that I thought mattered, that I barely remember now. And in a few more years they won't even cross my mind. There are things far more important than having the latest baby or kid everything. My kids are growing far to quickly for my taste. (All though you might find a day where I wish it would just speed up and be done with.) The little details are just that details. The perfect toy that your kid breaks no less than one week after buying you realize they are just as happy playing hot lava in the living room with blankets and a few basic toys. The big expensive toys and baby things and all of the new hoop-la.. really not necessary. We didn't have them. We are successful, smart, and *gasp* normal functioning people. We don't need therapy for being so deprived.
I see our culture and this constant we NEED more, not just want, but our wants our becoming NEEDS. We need to be clothed, we need to be fed, we need to be sheltered. We need so little but want so much. I want my children to be appreciative of all they get. At times I worry they think they are entitled to certain things, I do not ever want them to feel like that. I work on it. I want them to work to get things they want, not just have them handed to them. I think we as a society need to do that. I am working on defining my needs from my wants. I need much less than I want. But don't we all.
Now go check out Lei and Morning Glory and join in. Leave a link leave a comment and enjoy your day!



7 comments:
Thanks for joining in Lee... it is amazing how little we really need to get by, after all the planning and stewing.
:)
Thanks for such an honest approach to the subject. It's wonderful that time brought perspective to you. We really can get by on less than we think.
Glad you joined in on this topic.
I enjoyed this post, laughing all the while -- because even though I don't use a crib set, and don't have a stroller system, or a highchair, I am a sucker for good slings, soft onesies, the bumbo seat, and....wait for it....innovative new sippy cups. Got a new sippy cup coming out? Just let Kermit know, 'cause she'll buy and try.
It's funny, the print that I loved and wanted when J was a baby annoys me now because "everyone" has it. I'm glad I didn't end up getting it, because then I'd feel I have to keep using it until its worn out.
Enjoyed your post!
Well said! You're very wise in your young age! :)
It is funny how I have gone from having one baby with a large, beautiful diaper bag, a very nice stroller, etc... to having four children and carrying a diaper in my small purse and a cheapo little stroller.
Love your post, very insightful!
That's so true about the things kids have the most fun with. Who can beat blankets? Hot lava, capes, tents, nests, they can be anything!
Post a Comment