While eating lunch today I looked at my Craisin bag and saw a recipe for Oatmeal Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies. I thought it sounded great! And since I purchased a cute cookie jar last week while at Kohl's I thought I should fill it with these wonderful morsels of goodness. I decided I should do a double batch so the cookie jar would be nice and full, and I would feel nice and domestic and Super Mommyish... not sure that is a word.. but I am going with it!
I started and things were going well.. until I realized that I had but 2 tablespoons of baking soda in, not the required 2 teaspoons. I figured it would be okay and proceeded to bake a pan. And put another one in the oven. I tasted my first cookie about 3 minutes into cooking the other pan. Holy nasty. Bitter, soda, salty, nasty cookie. It was awful.
I called my Mom.. she suggested adding the recipe again, making it a triple recipe so I figured it was worth the shot. Yeah.. it didn't work. The dough was yucky. I then called the baking extraordinaire Jeni. Love Jeni, she is great. And not only is she a great person she is the BEST cook I know. Seriously wonderful and the person I knew would know what to do with my situation. I called her and explained I what was going on and she assured me this kind of stuff happens.. and then she said I needed to do the recipe 3Xs more to get it to the right amount for the soda. Yes you read that right 3 times more. So my doubled recipe was now going to be 6Xs the original. That is now 2 pounds of butter. Lots of other ingredients and lots of work. I looked at it and thought about chucking it all and going to the store and filling my cookie jar.. but I couldn't. I am a pretty good cook. And I am always up for a challenge so I decided I could do this.
I already had my Kitchen-Aid mixer maxed out to capacity with the dough I had already mixed up. I got out another bowl and my hand mixer and started in. Slowly it started coming together. Little Miss decided it would be good to turn the mixer on while the mixer was sitting up right and send dough everywhere and there was a big mess. Thankfully after I quickly told her to turn it off I realized she just wanted to help and got down gave her a hug and told her it was okay. And promised to let her help when there was something she could do. I should have taken a picture once all of the dough was mixed.. it was a HUGE pile of dough. I am talking massive and overwhelming. But the dough finally tasted really good. I decided I could bake a batch and see how they turned out.. and to my pleasure they tasted good. So I kept going until I had baked 200 cookies and decided I could freeze the rest. Yes I still had lots of cookie dough left over. Probably the amount I was originally wanting.. so next time I decide to make cookies they are already done! Woo hoo!!
We decided that since it was Monday FHE night that we would deliver cookies to friends of ours. And ended up giving away close to 100 cookies tonight. The kids loved it and we now have a perfectly full cookie jar waiting for little hands to reach in and get their yummy treat. My short baking session turned into hours of baking. But the kids learned it is nice to do things for others and that it made them feel good inside. I don't plan on mixing up that many cookies again. I think I will leave that for Mrs. Fields.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
At least you found someone who knew what to do and they taste good... that's what's really important :)
Thank you for the cookies. They were very yummy and now they are gone. Didn't even last 24 hours
Post a Comment