Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tonsil Drama

Little Miss had her tonsils taken out 10 days ago. You would think that she would be better by now. You would think I would have been rejoicing the blessings this has brought into my life with how excited I was about this. I had done this before with Little Man, he bounced back quickly and he was only 3 1/2. This couldn't be any worse with her. I was WRONG. Horribly WRONG.

Little Miss has lost five pounds, that may not seem like a lot but it is over 15% of her body weight. And if you have seen her she didn't have any to lose to begin with. She still is having a hard time eating anything, much less something that will keep her from losing weight.

Her voice, well it sounds like Minnie Mouse on Helium who is liquored up so all words are slurred and it is EXTREMELY hard to understand. I was told it would be high, and seriously nasal but I truly am shocked, but they assured me in the next few weeks it will get better. We are going to Elsa (speech therapist) tomorrow so hopefully she will help us.

Little Miss has not been able to breathe through her nose, who knows if ever. She now when drinking randomly has it come out of her nose. Seriously that just seems miserable.

She has screams randomly and very often for the past three nights in a row. I stayed in her bed all night last night in hopes that it would provide me a little more rest, and her with a little more comfort. Have you ever smelled the breath of someone who just had their tonsils out? It is nice. It is as though my daughter is having withdrawals from the pain medicine. It breaks my heart for her to be struggling so much.

She has become a permanent fixture to me, either lying or sitting on me at all times unless I am in the bathroom or shower. And even then those must be quick. I remember when I didn't feel good, Mom just makes it better. At least I know I am providing her comfort, the poor kid is just having it rough. Thankfully we go to the surgeon tomorrow for a follow up.

She is eating popsicles today, and is quite the Connoisseur on them. I bought the Jell-O pudding pops for her and she doesn't want the chocolate it tastes like Costco Chocolate Cake and don't I remember she doesn't like it right now! Umm.. I guess I missed that memo.

I feel for Little Miss. I know how horrible surgery can be. I wish she wasn't going through such a hard time. I want her back to her happy self, instead of being moody and telling me, I AM HAPPY MOM, I AM NOT CRANKY. Sounds believeable huh? I want her to be able to eat, to drink and not have it come out of her nose, to sleep and not scream, to just be my Little Miss.

6 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

It is tough being a mother and seeing your child in pain and uncomfortable. Stay strong, and hopefully soon this will all just be a memory.

Ms. Kristen said...

I have been there twice! We have a joke in our family...our oldest was sleeping on the floor next to us while he was recovering....we would always lean over and say "Are you O.K.?" in a deep whisper! I guess you had to be there! But we do that when anyone is sick in the family!
Yeah.....baaaaddddd breath! Poor thing!
She will get better! Some get better faster than others!

EarlGirl said...

Oh, that sounds awful! I'm soooo sorry! I've missed seeing you, and figured recovery must be going badly.

Heather said...

I hope she and YOU get some peace and rest.

Jen said...

I hope she feels better soon too! I hate it when my kids are sick or hurting and I can't do anything to make it all better instantly. Hope you get comforting news at your follow up!

MadMadameMim said...

So sorry! That sounds awful. I can't imagine having a four year old up screaming all night, half awake misserable children can be so unreasonable and I just don't do the middle of the night very well. I hope things get better fast, hopefully the doctor has some answers for you.