I have been contemplating showing some Photoshop stuff. And today I decided I would show a before and after of a pictures SOOC (Straight out of camera) and then what the edited version looks like. This is Misty, my wonderful very pregnant friend.
This is the before. The composition works, but the colors are blah. I take my pictures in manual. I adjust my settings and override the cameras standard settings to get better exposure.
(this has been sharpened, cropped, and levels)
And then I use the curves tool. It adjusts the contrast a little, and helps to brighten it up a bit. I do a very small s curve in the lower left hand corner staying in that bottom square. It is very slight.
Then I add my color balance, I add more red and yellow to warm the picture up. I do it for the highlights, midtones, and shadows. See how much nicer it looks?
Then I use a lasso and lasso around Misty and feather at 250, and then select inverse and adjust my levels with the slider on the far left to intensify the colors. And this is my finished product. 
And then I use the curves tool. It adjusts the contrast a little, and helps to brighten it up a bit. I do a very small s curve in the lower left hand corner staying in that bottom square. It is very slight.
Then I add my color balance, I add more red and yellow to warm the picture up. I do it for the highlights, midtones, and shadows. See how much nicer it looks?
Then I use a lasso and lasso around Misty and feather at 250, and then select inverse and adjust my levels with the slider on the far left to intensify the colors. And this is my finished product. 
Part of editing the pictures and using the 'digital darkroom' is what helps to make your images go from blah to wow! Hope you enjoyed and let me know if you want more like this!
Happy Friday!



9 comments:
Wow! That was really cool! I'm blown away! My mind can't comprehend how you do it, but I sure admire it. Thanks for sharing.
I love this tutorial! Being a recent owner of Photoshop Elements, I can use all the help you can offer! I've played around a little and love it! I would love for you to post more photoshop tutorials! Amazing work, you're very talented!
This is fascinating! You have such a talent Lee.
We just got a wedding announcement from Chase and Elise, and the minute I opened it, I said, "Hey, Lee took these!" You are awesome!
Wow, that is like science!!
I don't have Photoshop. I have Microsoft Digital Image Suite and it seems that some of the functions are similar. I NEED a tutorial and someone much more computer savy than myself...maybe in some of your abundant spare time...? I may have to move to Indiana.
Hey look, it's me! Good tutorial! Maybe one of these days I'll do a couple on my blog too.
I didn't understand half of what you said, but it looks great! How come I can't be all fancy and stuff like you?
It's all gibberish to me, but I wish I could speak gibberish! I LOVED the tutorial, and wish I had your talent. What an amazing transformation from first to last pic!
Also- I wanted to say that I LOVE your new home in the mid-west. Beautiful, and I love how spacious your yard looks. Have a great move!
Thanks for the recap - I picked up on what you did at your house, but missed a step that you had here. I always enjoy a good tutorial.
Post a Comment