Sunday, March 30, 2008

Year's Supply

I read Tiffani's blog and she had talked about food storage.. it gave me an idea to blog about.

Want to see my years supply?



A year ago I decided in a few weeks time I would buy my food storage. My parents are on a service mission at our local cannery and had been telling me I needed to get it done. I took the money and decided to go and do it.



It was such a great experience, I took Little Miss with me and she was a terrific helper. It was nice to go and buy all of the basic necessities for one year for my family. And now that I have it I feel so accomplished. I was transferring some of my items this week from bulk to buckets and I felt so excited that I know we are truly prepared. We wouldn't have a lavish diet but we would live for one year.

I am so excited when I go in and look at all of my food. We had an great 3 month supply but I have been dwindling it down since we are moving and I will restock it once we are settled in our new home. I am thrilled to know I have the sugar, milk, grains, legumes, that I need. I still want to add more to it, but we have what we have been asked to do.

And my little plug. If you have wondered about doing food storage, do it. You will be so very blessed. I have such a testimony of having your years supply and also of having your 3 month supply. We have felt so blessed by having this and feeling like we are prepared. I didn't have to strong desire to care about it until I did it. And I love that with our 1 year basic they aren't saying we have to constantly rotate it, it is good for 30 years! And then I have my 3 month stuff that I rotate. And your basics for a family of 4 will cost under $1000. Quite the bargain if you ask me.

I am looking forward to building up more three month supply again it is always nice to have extras of peanut butter on Sunday when you realize you are out. It has saved me many times.

7 comments:

tharker said...

Thank you for my personal tour of your awesome food storage! Great job Lee! I am the same. I haven't been excited about it until now. Overwhelmed is how I have felt in the past about doing it. But I too love this new system. It makes it so much easier to get it done!

A friend called me and asked me if I wanted to go to the cannery with a small group of women this week, and that is how I got excited about it. It's nice knowing that I'm not the only one who is starting at almost scratch, and that we can help eachother get prepared. It will be fun!

Your pictures are truly inspiring! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Heather said...

So nice and tidy!!

Sonja said...

Wow, I am totally inspired. We need to do better at gathering up our food supply, mostly I just need to organize it as well as you do.

MadMadameMim said...

you are truely inspiring and as always awesome, I'm on the band wagon and plan on gettin it all done this week as soon as the snow stops! :)

Allison said...

Those are the prettiest pictures...I love to photograph my food storage, too! Crazy, I know! But the sense of peace that it brings having it sit out there ready for me when I need it is invaluable. Of course I wouldn't be done with mine if it hadn't been for you walking me through it! Thanks!

Terilyn said...

Would somebody tell me what I need to get EXACTLY so that I can feed my family? Where should I go to fill in the blank for a family of 6?

MamaBird said...

i am so glad you are taking food storage seriously. woo-hoo! good job!