Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Halloween Costume Fun

My kids are so excited for Halloween. They have their costumes picked, and now I am on the mission to make them. Little Man has decided to be Luke Skywalker, and Little Miss any guesses? Pink Princess?? One would think. But she has decided to be Princess Leia. I for one was shocked that she wanted to be Princess Leia.. are you sure you are my girl? Little Man was not a shocker at all. He has inherited his love for Star Wars from Dad. I still have yet to see them all. Okay... back to my topic. Star Wars is quite popular right now. Like it hasn't been popular since it came out, but it is huge so I figured I could find a pattern quite simply and be have all month to make these costumes. But I cannot. I have looked through books trying to find a pattern. While I know how to sew, I need a pattern, I need to be told what to do. Because honestly I have no idea what I would make for Star Wars costumes without a pattern. And I am sure I could learn but that would involve watching said movies. And I don't think I am up for that. So for now I will search the Internet, the stores, and every where I can think of until I find the pattern.. or resort to buying cheaply made costumes.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

I know this isn't that fun, but I have seen the already made costumes on some websites online. If you do a search for them you could probably just look and make it by site. Usually they are just a one piece of fabric with belt type look. Good luck!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

We did Star Wars for my boys last year....I mostly had to make stuff up. I found a web page where I guy tells you how to make a Jedi cape. I used a pajama pants pattern for the pants. I modified a bear costume to become Yoda. I thought afterwards that a Karate uniform pattern might have worked well for the Jedi stuff. Anyway...good luck. I'm sure it'll be fabulous.

MadMadameMim said...

I know there are patterns out there. I've seen them, I've used them. It is harder to find them for the little guys but I didn't a couple years ago in the books a Joann's, usually they don't change that much from year to year, I'm surprised you haven't found any. Maybe I'll do some research for you and let you know what I find. I'm pretty sure they were either Mccall's or simplicity patterns

Misty said...

Sounds fun! I'm going to attempt to sew Link (from Zelda) for Nathan. Without a pattern. Oughta be interesting...

Allison said...

Boy, I gotta say that I'm pretty happy two of my three boys want to wear their pirate outfits I sewed last year! The other one settled on a dragon costume we already had...whew!

My friend Hilary outfitted her whole family in Star Wars one year. Here's one link I found with Luke and Yoda...Luke looks easy enough:
http://hillyut.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-pal-luke.html


Here's more of her little Yoda:

http://hillyut.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-pal-yoda.html

I could ask her about the pattern if you're interested. She was Leia, but I can't find her pic....pretty much anything white and drapey with two buns in her hair is going to look great! Good luck!

Pamela said...

My almost 8 year old is going to be
Padme http://www.halloweencostumes.com/kids-padme-costume.html
So my mom just made white pants and a white shit and did silver ribbon on the arm and down the leg. It turned out really good.

Beth said...

I think she means 'shirt'. Yeah, baby.