Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Eight Years

Eight years ago today my Grandmother passed away. It was the first grandparent I had lost, and little did I know that in three short years I would only have one left, it was the beginning.
I love my Grandma so much, and I miss her. I remember she had fallen and had hurt herself so we went to visit her, she was 89. We saw her and she was just going down hill so fast. It was my senior year of high school, but my parents knew she probably wouldn't last much longer so we spent a few days with her. I remember getting ready to leave and kissing her on her forehead and having an overwhelming feeling that I wouldn't see her again in this Earthly life. She was so alert and had a such a strong voice before she passed away. We left the hospital and I asked my Dad should we really leave? I knew in my heart I had said goodbye, but I didn't want. We left and drove home, and that night about 2:00Am we received a call that my Grandmother had passed away peacefully to return to live with her Father. It was her time, we all knew it, but I miss her greatly.
My Grandma was so kind and loving. She made each of us afghans for when we got married.. well that is except for me. It was too hard for her to crochet and knit by the time she was supposed to make mine. She was 72 when I was born so after doing all of the other grandkids she gave me a special one that she had made long before I was ever thought of. I love it! I have my Grandmother's wedding dress it is something I treasure. I have such terrific memories of her and my Grandfather. I miss being a little kid and going to visit them and knowing they loved me so much. I hope that my children feel the same about their grandparents.
When my Grandma was in her late 80's a few years before she died she always wanted to talk to me and make me feel important. She would always comment on my crazy socks and say I should get me some like those. And my shoes that were so not for her, she would tell me how much she loved them, and she wanted a pair. It was so nice to know she noticed and she cared. I could play the piano for her and she loved it.
Grandma loved the gospel, and she loved the Lord. What a great example she was to me of a righteous woman. She endured to the end. She knew it was true and she lived it.
Grandma I love you!

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

What a beautiful and touching post! I miss my grandparents too!

Lei said...

How sweet, Lee!

Anonymous said...

she was my grandma too!!
funny I came here and read grandma then didn't finish the reading the post BRBjen