Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Do you Remember?

September 11, 2001.. It started out like a normal day for me. I got up and got ready for work. I was leaving our condo.. going over a speed bump and waving at an elderly guy in our complex and I heard on the radio a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. It was about 6:15 AM here. I thought it was weird but I pictured a little tiny plane, (two seater size). Not a BIG commercial plane. I drove to the lab, where I worked not thinking much about it. Strange things happen. I was six months pregnant with Little Man and he was very active that morning. I got into work and we turned the radio on like always and there was more on.. It wasn't just a small airplane, it was a big one. It wasn't anything like I had originally though it was. And then another plane had hit the other tower. I still didn't grasp the magnitude of it.

That day we were glued to the radio listening to every detail, and asking patients as they came in if they had heard anything knew. We couldn't believe that something like this had happened. That terrorists were so boldly attacking our home.. the land that we loved. I heard about the Pentagon and the flight in Pennsylvania. It shocked me. It terrified me. How could something like this happen. I was off work shortly after 2:00 and I drove to my parents and talked to them. The Mall was closed, schools were closed, people were home watching the TV. I watched for the first time video of the towers falling. A horrific image.. I watched in horror thinking this cannot really be happening. Why would anyone do this? So many innocent people dying. I looked at my stomach.. and wondered about bringing a child into a world like this.

That night I had a prenatal water aerobics class.. I went and the teacher asked us how we were doing. It was the first time I had thought about it. Before that I was just numb and shocked.. and slowly the tears came. I realized I was scared. I had no idea what the future would hold. I was floored that people would do such horrible hurtful things. We talked about the fears we had.. and how we wished this was just a bad dream. My heart hurt for the families who had lost their loved ones.

I watched daily as people were slowly found and rescued. Some families rejoiced while others mourned. It was tragic. It was all I could do to not sit and stare at the TV. It was a bad movie that I just couldn't turn off.. I wanted to know each detail, I wanted people to be safe for great miracles to happen. I wanted it to go away.

9/11 forever changed me. It changed how I view our country, and my patriotism. In 2004 I went to New York City with my family. I saw several firemen and police officers. I told one of them thank you for all he did, and my eyes welled up with tears. What so many of them have done is not forgotten it is not in vain. Many sacrificed their lives to try and save others. They are heroes. Whenever I hear the National Anthem tears come to my eyes, and I truly think of what that great song means. I am proud that I am an American. I am proud to live where I can worship God how I want, where I can have Freedom of Speech, where people have fought for my Freedom. I haven't forgotten those who died on that terrible day. Many families mourn their loved ones today. I mourn with them. And I pray that they have peace and know that their loved ones will forever be remembered.

May we never forget. May we always believe. May we unite and be stronger.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

It's amazing how this one day has changed all of us so much. Great post.

Lei said...

Such a good reminder, Lee. Thank you.