Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Hobby

I have a hobby that I am just realizing I have. And I think it might be an obsession. My hobby which is manifesting itself even more now. I hoard food. Who knew? Who knew it was a hobby? Evidently it is something I really really enjoy.

Since arriving in Indiana I now have two refrigerators. Seriously what did I do without two? I now can store over 20 pounds of chicken breast, 10 pounds or so of turkey bacon, 10 pounds of ground turkey, tons of frozen corn, beans, broccoli, strawberries, blueberries and so much more.

I am simply giddy to go to Costco and leave with my cart heaping and spilling over the edges with loads of food. Randy pointed out that we now have more food in our home than we ever have had. Very likely going past the three month standard rotation and into unchartered territory with the food. And that I am no longer storing my food, but I now hoard food.

So Hi, my name is Lee, and I hoard food. I have this need to have more food than I need for a long time so that we are prepared. Ironically, the other day I was asked what my hobbies were.. I said photography, and hoarding food. Nice huh? And then I giggled because I am sure they think I am a total nut job. But dude, at least I am prepared. When the rice and flour are all gone from the stores, I will be eating it for months to come.

So there you have it I am a food hoarder.. it is a hobby, obsession and it is slowly taking over my house one closet at a time. (Okay, not really but it sounds cool.)

8 comments:

smart mama said...

thats okay you're in good company :>- my neighbors call our house the graff and shop-- I don't know how people live without a full stash

tharker said...

You are so funny!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Hey, if you've got the room and the budget, go for it!

MadMadameMim said...

OCD anyone, are you sure we aren't sisters? love the hording, I'm trying hard to join the crowd but you are already so far ahead!

EarlGirl said...

What a fun hobby! So, the real test if you're crazy or not is if you'll eat any of it. Does eating it give you anxiety? If not, then go, go, go!

Heather said...

Hilarious... at least you aren't gambling.

Jackie said...

Hahaha! I think I could get into that hobby!

sleepless in oasis said...

THis is the funniest blog for me this week. You see this week cereal was on sale and I purchased 50 boxes. That's not all. I also discovered Fiber One bars that I love. Needless to say I now have 25 boxes of them. I got to the cashier and she asked if I found everything. I answered that if I didn't I needed some serious help!