I needed to leave by 6:30AM to get everything accomplished today for the Lupus Walk. Thankfully Allison was more than willing to accompany me and we headed off to get Ice and Bagels and go start the set up . I was anxious and praying that there would be more than 20 people there. We were there before Kathy and Bob got there, so we arranged tables, unloaded food, put water on ice, and anything else we could come up with. Bob and Kathy arrived and we got started on more things.. wonderful signs Allison made! Thank you very much. Laying more stuff out and just getting all of the final details readay. My parents arrived and my Dad and I positioned our main sign and managed to get it to hold still despite all the wind. Thank you water bottles!
People slowly arrived at 8:45 and from then on. And then a group came from Target. And they said more were coming. I figured they would have 10-15 people, but I was wrong. They had 80 people sign up. Not all of them came but they had at least 50 people. It was amazing. And I am incredibly grateful that they would give of their time and come support our cause!

We had a great DJ, Big B from one of my favorite radio stations. He did great! He was enthused and was a wonderful support and did a great job promoting our walk. He even let me be on the radio a few times! What's not to love about that?
We ended up with 93 people who walked our walk.. a few people didn't walk so I think we had 100 there. Which I am thrilled about. For our first walk, our first event here, that is a true success. Our raffle was great! We had wonderful prizes and I don't think I could have asked for things to go better. We had fun! We earned money for the Lupus Foundation! And we helped to Raise Awareness about a Not-So-Fun Disease. I am proud of the community. Proud of my wonderful friends who came, Tiff, Marianne, Jen, Carrie, Allison, Jenni and many more! Proud of my family and their efforts! Thankful to my family and friends for their great support and willingness to be there! I am looking forward to next year and to having an even bigger success! We can help to find a cure, find new drugs and raise awarness as to what Lupus really is. Thank you to all who donated.
I had to pick her up.. being 10 inches tall it was just too tempting! We had to get more pictures this year to go with last years and all of our other pics of us together. I didn't get pics with my kids or other friends and family.. oops! It was busy!




6 comments:
Sounds like a great success! What a fantastic turn out for your first walk!
I'm glad to hear that everything went well for your walk! So cool that you had such a great turn out! Wish I lived closer so I could've come! It must be a bit of a relief to have it over...planning big stuff like that is a lot of work. Congrats on your success!
Jen
It was fun! We all look forward to doing it again next year
WTG- I am proud of your activism!! What a great undertaking and success! There would never be a flood without little drops of rain- all our small actions lead to great things
That's so inspiring that you put that together and had such success. Congratulations!
it totally looks like I"m falling in that pic! Love the other one of us, though. IT was so much fun and I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else that day. I'm so glad that all your hard work paid off! Here's to next year....count me in again!
Post a Comment