Until CHRISTMAS! Can you wait? Are you ready?
I for one am so excited. I still have to finish the Christmas Eve pajamas, I have to make pants for Little Miss and I. I was going to make the shirts with it. Last night I realized that I had not cut out my fabric for any of them and I probably wouldn't be getting it all done. Thankfully I was able to go to the Mall (my happy place) and I get cute shirts to go with my fabric. Thank you Old Navy and GAP! And I finished Randy's and Little Man's pants last night. Hopefully I will finish the rest tonight after everyone is in bed.
Yesterday proved to be an interesting day. Little Man was told this past month that there was no Santa. Thank you Carpool Boy! He was informed that Mom and Dad buy everything and Santa doesn't come. We asked him what he thinks and he thinks Santa is real, but I can tell he isn't sold on the idea. Who knew at 6 this would be happening?? I haven't been too sure what to think. I never thought Santa was real. I love the idea of it, but I knew someone wasn't coming down our chimney, but it was fun to pretend.
Unfortunately Little Man found the Christmas Stash yesterday. And being the sweet innocent boy he told me how he found this cool race track in my closet, and G.I. Joe's and a Island Princess Barbie for Little Miss and some candy canes. I looked at him blankly and said, where were you? And the sheepish grin on his face spilled it all as he answered simply, In your closet. I think he knew that I was upset. He instantly gave me a hug and I asked him if he was snooping and he willingly admitted he was. I am glad he feels he can tell me these things, but man I was so sad. He told me he was just so tempted to find them and he couldn't help it, and he felt yucky when he did it, but he was too excited. And then he told me he showed Little Miss the Barbie. So not only ruining some of his surprises some of hers also. The stinker!
I called a few people needing advice, do I return it all? Give him only socks and underwear? Give him coal? Nothing? Leave it alone? What was the right thing. My friend Alli sent me a link to this blog and I really liked it. And so I decided he can keep all that he saw. And thankfully he didn't see it all and those will be from Santa. Little Miss might have a bigger Santa present this year.. I am still undecided if I set the race track up in an extra room if I can put from Santa on it, or if it will be enough the same as the picture on the box. Thankfully Little Miss didn't see the doll house or her Christmas would be ruined. Hopefully the magic will a little longer and even then I hope they always believe in the magic of Christmas. The goodness of others, and the charity we see in this season. I like what Hilary says about Santa and Christ. I think one day when I am willing to take that step that will be a good way to explain it to my kids.
I Believe. Do you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
That's soooo sad! That would break my heart to have my kids discover any surprises before Christmas. I'm so sorry. Good luck sewing though. I hope you get it all done in time. That was very wise not to knock yourself out on the shirts, and just pick them up.
That stinks about Little Man, have you seen the book "I Believe in Santa" at Far West? I love it, so cute.
I would beat him for snooping. :)
Honestly, our house is so small I'm sure my kids are going to find the presents at some point... my oldest has just come with queries from what kids have said at school... sometimes when we're out and we see something good happening I remind him that it's Santa's doing and we always have an FHE to remind us that Santa only does it because of what Christ has done for us. It's even a good reminder to be a good example like Santa. :)
My kids all still believe. I just inform the older ones that when you stop believing, the magic is gone. I love the magic of Christmas-to me, Santa is the giving spirit. So, yep, he is real to me :) Sorry to hear about the peeking, I think we all have problibly done the same thing at one time.
Well . . . in our house, we celebrate St. Nicholas Day (Dec. 6th). On the night before that, we tell stories about the actual saint and the good he did. For Christmas, we tell our daughter that we are Santa's helpers and we donate toys to toys for tots and food to the Salvation Army for kids who don't have a lot. Santa comes and fills their stockings, but the gifts are from family to family. My husband never had Santa and I did, so this is our compromise. The magic, to me, was buying gifts for my siblings and being excited/anxious about that. Which is why I go overboard even now - I just want to see smiles on faces. That's the spirit of Christmas to me. I never liked the concept of Santa only because in one house he's rather generous (because Mom and Dad could afford bigger and better) and at other houses he can't give as much. I remember comparing what Santa brought me versus what he brought my friends.
We had some of the same experiences this year...snooping kids, overly helpful older children who I want to throttle. My #3 found (with the help of his older brother) his main Christmas present. I had worked hard to find the impossible "Bumblebee" from Transformers at Costco. It was so unfair!!!- but I took it back. The guy at Costco was dumbfounded and actually argued with me politely about my decision. As painful as it was the snooping was squelched.
When a regular stinker in our neighborhood informed #4 about Santa my oldest informed him that when you stop believing in Santa you stop receiving gifts from Santa. That was the end of the discussion. She is a lovely person to have around.
Post a Comment