My Dad offered to come help skin them, you don't pluck them. Weird huh? So they skinned the geese in our garage and we had 4 large goose breasts to eat. Everyone told me goose was gamey, oily, and not good. I was DYING to eat it. Ha! I got on to my favorite website for cooking, and found a Goose recipe that had 5 stars. I decided that would be dinner for Little Man's birthday, and he was excited to eat Dad's kill.
I was apprehensive to cook it, worried it was be totally disgusting. But I got it going in the morning and it smelled wonderful. I pulled it out of the crock pot and started preparing it and it looked just like beef. I was rather surprised. Finally I had everyone served their Goose Sandwich and I decided I could brave it. I took my first bite fully expecting it to be wretched and have me looking for anything to spit it into. And to my shock it was good. I ate my sandwich and watched as everyone was surprised that it wasn't disgusting as they had heard and tasted before.
Randy can't wait to go hunting again and bring home more dinner. And well, I will cook it as long as I don't have to clean it or touch the dead bird until it is just a piece of meat.
(Disclaimer: Animals were killed and harmed for this post. They were skinned and eaten.)



6 comments:
You guys remind me of the Beverly Hill Billies.
Way to live off the land.
llyYeah Randy, and yeah Lee Ann for cooking it. When we were first married, Jared went deer hunting with his dad and shot a deer. We hung it upside down, out in my Moms garage (you do that with deer for a few days, I forgot the reason why)While Jared was working my mom and I cut it up and packaged it. First and only time I did it. It was a pain in the butt, but he was sure surprised and impressed.
Your disclaimer had me laughin'!!
I loved the disclaimer too - I'm glad you added it. You are my hero. Tell Randy to bring home frogs' legs for you sometime - they taste like chicken!
I'm so glad that dinner turned out for you. I tasted a little goose for Thanksgiving, it wasn't so great. But I have a feeling your are a far superior cook to the person who cooked the goose I tried. Randy looks very proud, those are great pics.
Aaron told his mom about Randy's wonderful hunting experience. She has requested that he save the carcasses for her next time. She says their very tasty.
Post a Comment