I have issues with my childrens school. I am trying to figure out the best approach, but I have very strong feelings on a few things that are lacking here.
I had heard Indiana had great schools, and we were moving into a fantastic district. I have yet to believe that.
My issues.. I don't agree with Kindergartners only getting recess for the first nine week and then no recess. That is wrong. I know that Kindergarten is only 2 hours 40 minutes, that is short, not my problem it is so short. But children learn by play. And a 10-15 minute recess will help to get wiggles out and for kids to settle down. If they can't have recess then please let them have PE, Art, Music, or something that is fun and creative.
And the rest of elementary kids they get a whopping one recess with Lunch. They are in school from 9-3:40, that is a long time for little kids to go without recess. I think two should be mandatory if not three. And heck if the issue is they can't pay duty's, I will gladly go and be a FREE duty so that way my child can have recess. Kids need to burn off their energy and move.
And another issue. I have to pay Textbook rental fees. What the heck? Since when is public education not free? And get this, my fees are almost $160 for a Kindergartner and a First Grader. It is crap. Complete and total crap. I love on the list that I am being charged 10 of the total of the books for Shipping and Handling.. yeah right it did cost them 10% to ship these books. I love to see that the district is making a buck off of my kid. Other things I like on the list it says Classroom Supplies, on this they have folders, (because the 3 I had to send in the insanely long list of school supplies wasn't enough).
I am contacting my Representative for the State. I am going to talk to other people. I am so against this in so many ways, and if I don't stand up for it who will? I don't believe that Public School, and our Free Education should cost us this much just for text books for kids this young. Thank you Indiana.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



13 comments:
See? You shouldn't have left good ol' Washington. :P
And yeah. That's crap.
Holy cow! That is just crazy! I guess I should be grateful for our schools here. We have no textbook fees, just an activity fee that helps them go on field trips. As for no recess--that is just crap. My kids get one in the morning and one in the afternoon with lunch. Kindergarten gets one too--heck I think the teachers need that time as much as the kids do. I'm surprised your kids don't get PE or art or something either. Their teachers must go bonkers by the end of the day! I hope you can make some changes happen!
My kids get three recesses per day in a school district that isn't winning any awards any time soon. (Mind you, the go all day, but their full-day is shorter than Little Man's.)
The school supply list was long (and full of things that aren't strictly school things, like napkins and paper plates) and we pay for field trips individually. I've never been charged a textbook fee, and we've been in three different school districts so far! I didn't even know kindergartners used "textbooks." Scooter has a fancy planner from the Seven Habits line of products, and the school pays for the first one (replacements are $5).
I'm glad you're going to set some wheels in motion to get things changed.
Oh gag! I'd be mad, too! Way to speak up and speak out for the kids. I agree, I'm surprised the teachers don't demand that the kids go to recess!
That is really strange. I would be mad too!
Not so strange - the list of supplies is because there are parents who don't send their kids to school with supplies, so you are paying for someone else's cheapness. I understand there are poor families and all, but isn't that what the tax dollars are supposed to pay for?
As for the no recess - I'd have them out of there so fast. But then I'm a freak and want to/will put my kids in private schools that will actually listen to the parents - instead of just demand your money. Textbook fees? Grr. Let me check with my legal counsel on that one and get back to you!
Sheesh! I spent a total of $110 total for all my books I am using this year to homeschool 3 kids. That is Kindergarten, 5th grade and 8th grade. of coarse I don't have the power to just demand for more money so I can get all the dream stuff I would want to use to teach them. I am stuck with a budget and my husband has to work to pay the bills.
As for the lack of recess. I hear that it is a growing trend across the country. It gives them more time to raise those test scores. Of coarse they may have to drug a few kids to keep them from bouncing off the walls.
Our tax dollars hard at work.
What??? Insane, good luck.
Make sure it is the district that you talk to. I am sure the teachers feel the same way you do. They need that recess break too. The problem is they are mandated to teach so many hours, and then not given the hours to add in recess...our district has gone to all day kinder to make this happen.
You go get'em! Do they have any good private schools in your area, or charter schools?
I also hate that they have no recess for kindergarteners. My big one is no snack. I talked to the teachers who said they justed don't have time. They pointed out that it was only 2 half hours long. I pointed out that from the time my son will leave on the bus until he gets home it will be five hours- too long for no snack. Each year I hate the registation process. I hate someone else telling me what my kids should do.
uh yah some serious issues--- i have a great conferenc eon play that addresses those exact things- that stinks
Don't ever move to Utah, then. Kindergarten here is 3 hours, no recess.
Macy's 3rd grade class gets one recess other than what ever time they have left after eating lunch. It's in the afternoon!
Thankfully, we don't have textbook fees or supply lists.
Post a Comment