Monday, September 22, 2008

Primary Program 2008

Yesterday was the Primary Program. This is my very favorite meeting of the WHOLE year! I just love it. The sweet testimonies of children just melts my heart. And this year was no exception. The Spirit you feel as children bear the simple truth is undeniable.

I am the Primary Pianist in my ward, but due to my stupid knee I am not quite up to playing. I was sad I really love my calling, but I have to give thanks and a proper shout out to Sara who did it better than I could have and filled in for me these last few weeks for practice and then again yesterday for the program. Thank you Sara, you are a gem. And Amy did a pretty great job teaching all of those songs to the kids.

At times I wish I could video tape the programs. Not only are they Spiritual, but they are hilarious. Yesterday was no exception, thanks to Little Man. Little Man is a know it all boy. He loves to learn, know it, and tell it. He was quite disappointed when he received his part for the program, it was "My family likes to ___________." And that was it. I was fine, but he was not happy that his younger sister had a bigger part, and that he the older brother didn't have a huge monologue. What can I say he comes from two parents who like to talk.. a lot! He had decided for his part he would say My family likes to play. But yesterday he decided that wasn't good enough. He had his part memorized and got up there in front of the microphone and the Primary President was ready to help him when he not so quietly said, "I don't need any help, I know it!" Yes this boy knows what he wants! He said in a big voice and with absolute confidence, "My family like to.... *birds chirping*......... (looks at me, with the grin, and look on his face of.. I am getting my time up here even if I am just sitting there breathing loudly in the microphone, but I am so dang proud of myself grin... while I look at him and mimic eating, sleeping.. something.. and then takes a big breath and says,) Make cookies." Let me tell you.. he is quite proud of himself and his 15 seconds of fame. He wanted to think of something bigger and better but he was happy that he stood up there commanding every one's attention.

Little Miss said her part with the biggest grin on her face, "We have repentance so we can live with Heavenly Father and Jesus again." But if you have heard her say repentance.. you know it doesn't really sound like that.. it is more bepentuns. Something along those lines. But her smile was the best, and she was so darn proud of herself.

The kids sang their hearts out. At times I could hear each of them above everyone else, but for the most part they blended in well. Little Miss danced a little, and Little Man played with his hair.. a lot. They were cute, my heart swelled, and I cannot wait for next year to hear their sweet testimonies.

9 comments:

BradandMelanie said...

You're right, the program was pretty great, and I think we all appreciated his 15 seconds of fame :)

Allison said...

You can always count on Little Man to liven up a primary program! Very funny!

Barney Family said...

That was too funny! Where does he get his sense of humor?

Kellie

tharker said...

The Primary Programs is easily one of my favorite Sundays of the entire year. Your kids are so dang cute Lee!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. Our program isn't until late Oct I think so it will be interesting to see what my kids do.

Lisa Christine said...

I love the primary program too! It's definately the best sacrament meeting of the year. Ours is in one month. Alexandra will be playing the violin and is busy learning her part!

Heather said...

I love the Primary Programs too. Like you said they are always so unpredictable, yet so spiritual.

Sara said...

It was a great day! And thanks for the shout out. You are darling.

Next year you'll be up there loving every minute!

And Little Man was very funny. (The funniest part was that I was playing the background music, and it was all timed out that he would end when I finished the verse, and then I had to improvise with the introduction, and then I didn't know what to do, so I just stopped playing. And so his silence was even louder! He certainly made my heart pound. Too dang funny.)

Amy said...

We did miss you playing! The program was wonderful...and Little Man's performance made it memorable for everyone. He's a crack up! It was also so funny sitting behind you guys and watching your reaction...priceless!