Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Four Years

Four years ago today my friend Jared committed suicide. I still remember his cousin coming over to tell me. It didn't seem real, I felt like I was in a horrible dream. I couldn't believe at just 22, his life was over.
As a new mother, I held my 3 month old son and wept for how his sweet mother Janice must be feeling. I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain that had to be in her heart. Janice and I have stayed very close since this. I want her to always know how much she and her husband are loved. And also how much we all still love Jared.
Jared was a good friend through High School. I moved my sophomore year to a new school and he was one of my first friends, and ended up being one of my best friends. It is hard to imagine that the class president from my Senior class won't be there. We were a tight group, just 33 of us, so his presence will and is greatly missed.
It hit me today that it had been four years, it is hard to believe it has been that long. I called Janice and we talked about him, and she told me that a few of his friends were really in a dark place at the time, and after seeing what his death caused, all of the sorrow, they got the help they needed. She is so grateful that his death could help save others.
Part of the reason I posted this is for people to realize it happens. I have not dealt with depression in my life, and had not been exposed to it. But this has brought a great awareness for me. It is a very real thing, that many people suffer with in silence.
To anyone who reads this, if you are struggling with depression or having suicidal thoughts, please get help. If you know someone who is struggling, please reach out to them. You may save their life. You never know the impact your kindness and friendship will have on someone. We all go through struggles in our life, many are not seen, but you are loved. Never forget how much our Heavenly Father loves you, you are a Child of God. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and reach out to those around you. Let those who love and care about you help you.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

How awful! I am sorry for you and your family!

emlouisa said...

Great post.

How sad for Jared and for those who loved him.

Lei said...

That was a very sweet post, Lee!