Monday, September 15, 2008

At 2 in the Morning

I hear the pitter patter of those familiar footsteps. The warm hand then grabs my arm, Mommy.. I don't want to be alone, can I sleep with you? Those words, with a sweet voice, and a snugly kid make me a total sucker. I scoot over and pull Little Miss in to snuggle and go back to sleep. And then I quickly realize sticking her in the middle is a much better idea.. I don't feel like she is going to fall out of my tall bed and crack her head.

It drives Randy crazy for me to pull the kids into bed, but for me as a Mom, it is one of my most favorite moments with my kids. I love that they know no matter what they can come and I will make them feel safe and snuggle them until they are back to sleep. She always sweetly hugs me and says Mommy I love you, you are the best Mommy. And then she whispers a little more sleepy Goodnight.. and drifts back to dreamland feeling safe and secure.

Times like these bring me back to the times that my kids were infants. When I would get up at all hours of the night to change them, nurse them, rock them, hold them and just be there for them at any given time. And that was one of my favorite times of the day with them. I loved the daylight hours, but those still moments in the night with my kids without the distractions of everything else that needs to be done, or takes my attention away those are some of my favorite memories.

And last night at 2 in the morning, I laid there awake, listening to Little Miss as she fell back asleep I was grateful for that moment. Grateful to lay there with her. Grateful for my two children, and for the blessing I have of being their Mother. Grateful that they still come to my bed at night, and aren't too big for Mommy snuggles. She comes more than Little Man, but I always welcome him into my bed too and let him snuggle back to sleep.

While Randy might not like the 2 AM kicks and wiggles. Or the fact that after a while she completely kicked me out of the bed, and on to the floor, and then the chair.. I couldn't carry her back to bed crutches and all. And finally I had to wake around 5 so I could get some rest. I was grateful for the moment. For my kids and for the blessing I have of being their Mom.

6 comments:

Barney Family said...

You are such a better mom than me! I just don't find these moments great at 2 AM. Maybe I need a little more patience.

Kellie

Amy said...

That is so sweet! You are such a good mom...even when your wounded. Glad you're doing better. We miss you in primary!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

So sweet! Be glad she wasn't puking. ROFL.

MadMadameMim said...

I am truly in awe of your tenderness, your compassion and love. You know those moments never happen and are never appreciated at my house. You are such a great mom.

Anonymous said...

We are having the same situation with our 14 months old, he is sensing some change and wants to fall asleep in our bed, then we move him to his crib but he wakes up at 2AM and won't go back to sleep unless he is snuggling with us. :)

I just love it, no matter what time it is, actually lately I am awake at 2 because of the contractions and baby moving, so his wanting to snuggle is healthy for me because it forces me to go back to bed and get some rest.

Daddy complains but I can just tell he loves that too, even though the next day I have to hear the usual phrase: "we're spoiling him". :)

My parents always welcomed me to snuggle with them when I was little, it's one of my fondest memories.

Just enjoy the snuggles, it can't hurt.

(((HUGS)))

Sara said...

I wish I had read this BEFORE we came VTing this morning! You are such a good mom.