Sunday, March 05, 2006

My commitment

Wednesday, March 1st, 2006 I made a commitment to myself and to my family I was not going to yell at my children anymore. Quite a big commitment huh? I read a great article and decided I was stopping it here and now. Now I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, I wasn't being verbally abusive. But I did yell, and I always felt like crap after I did. So I decided I am done. No more yelling Knock it off, get to your room, or anything. So I figure if I put my commitment out there, I am really going to have to stick to it right??
I am proud to announce that I have not yelled at my kids since then. I have wanted to, and it has been very hard not to, but I haven't. I have been giving myself a ton of pats on the back, and just keep thinking I can do this, and I will do this. I don't want my kids growing up remembering Mommy yelling all the time.
I was proud of myself son even gave my little girl a bloody nose, she punched him first in the eye, and I didn't yell. We were driving to Grandma's house, so we did timeout once we got there. I think they have been testing me a ton, but I am doing it. I explained to my son that I wasn't going to yell anymore, and he was like ohh Mommy that is good, did you know that yelling is a SIN? And a Sin comes from Satan, he is the DEVIL! He is quite proud of me and keeps encouraging me. He is 4, and he is a terrific motivator. I can tell a difference in me, and I am liking it.
They say it takes 21 days to make a habit and just 3 days to break it. I am going to do this. I am 5 days in, I am doing well. I know I have been a little short at times, but that is way better than yelling. Anyone else want to join me?
Anyone have tips on what they do instead of yelling?

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

Yay for not yelling! I need to do this for my kids at school.

QueenMeadow said...

Yay for you! Thats awesome :). I tried to join you a few days ago and failed miserably already :S. But I vow to try again :)

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Great job, Lee! One of the (many) things I love about you is you are always striving to improve. You are the kind of friend who makes me want to be a better person.

Lei said...

Good for you, Lee. Sometimes it's just a habit, not necessarily some great big weakness we have!

You're awesome!

lackrik said...

Good job Lee!

It takes a lot to get me to yell....but when I do, I always feel so bad. Stick with it!

Lee said...

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your support, and all your kindness. Another day down... It is getting easier.

Allison said...

I read that article, too, and thought that I, too, needed to do better. Good on ya' for making it a public commitment...I'm board with you! I LOVED your son's comments about Satan...I suppose he's right.