Friday, March 24, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness.. Even the little things matter

You never know how your actions will affect people. Little things, comments, all of it you never know. And often it really does affect people, helps them when they need it. It could be the little bit of encouragement, the simple kindness of just a hug, sometimes the smallest things make the biggest difference.
I received a card in the mail yesterday, and I was totally shocked. A lady I met last August in ShopKo sent me a card. You see, I talk to anyone and everyone, and I have never met a stranger. I tend to be able to talk to anyone about anything. I like to talk, it is fun for me.
Anyways, somehow in the checkout line we were talking and she told me she was moving to where I lived. We were in a totally different city at the time, so a total coincidence. Anyway, we were talking about housing, neighborhoods and schools and we ended up exchanging addresses, and phone numbers. Yes, I give out that personal of info to strangers, safe huh?
I didn't really think much of it as I left that day. And I had not thought of it again since, it was seven months ago. I was shocked to get a card in the mail from her. She thanked me for my kindness and telling her the good neighborhoods. She said when I talked to her it made her feel a little bit of excitement that she was moving. It totally surprised me something I thought was so insignificant meant so much to her.
It goes to show that you never know who is watching you. Who is touched by what you do. You never know who needs the little extra encouragement. The little things we do matter, no matter how little they are someone notices. I challenge everyone to step outside of the normal, say Hi to the little old lady at the grocery store, it might just make her day. It is the little things that count.

7 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

What a neat thing to happen. You remind me of one of the good things about my dad--he'll talk to anyone, really.

Stacy said...

Well said, Lee. I am also a talker. I don't think I have ever been as thoughful as she was to send a card of thanks, though. Great reminder!

Vanessa said...

Well, that's so neat. I'm not a talker. I don't think I could strike up a conversation with a stranger to save my life. I think it's a gift what you have.

emlouisa said...

You are right, you never know how you will affect someone else. I was SHOCKED when you told me that my story helped you make an important life decision. Amazing, because we've never met!

Rachelle said...

What a great post! We never do know the power of words. Thank you for sharing!

lackrik said...

I wish I wasn't so shy and could just talk to anyone!

Great story and a great reminder!

Lei said...

How sweet, Lee! You're a good example...