Monday, April 10, 2006

Broken Dreams

Sharon G. Larsen gave an excellent talk, it was Our Dreams May Be Broken, But I'm Not.
She started by saying, for most of us life hasn't turned out the way we dreamed it would when we were fourteen. I have tried and tried to remember dreams I had from 14, where I wanted to be.
I knew I wasn't going to have kids before 30, and hopefully wouldn't be married much before then. I either wanted to be a vet, nurse, or a model.
How different my life is. I got married shortly after my 19th birthday, and had my first child at 21. My life isn't at all what I thought it would be. But I am not sad about that. Amazing what the Lord does.
Sister Larsen said some great motivational things. She said, "When we think we are entitled and life isn't fair, Satan is able to get a hold of us." I know there have been many times life hasn't really seemed fair. I think we all deal with times like that.
I wish I could explain this more eloquently, but these are just my memories and thoughts from it. She talked about how we need to quit being the victim. Happiness and Joy our own. We will all have people in our lives who have wronged us, but we cannot dwell on those facts, we need to allow the Lord to heal our broken hearts. We need to let go of the stuff that people have said to us/about us/or the times we have been wronged. We can't borrow strength from others. We draw it from ourself, and from God. How true that is. He is there to sustain us and to help us.
We have to move forward from the past, move past our broken dreams, and embrace what we have. Be happy with who we are and what we are doing. She has a great book, it explains it better than I can, but I left there with a great appreciation for her.
What were your dreams when you were 14?

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Whatever I dreamed when I was 14, I'm sure this wasn't it! But it's not so bad. (most days!)