Sunday, April 09, 2006

Free Agency

I am still on the Spiritual High from TOFW. I want all of my thoughts written down so I can remember them. So I figure my blog is the best spot.
Joseph Fielding McConkie gave a terrific talk on The Power God has Given Us. Our Free Agency. I learned a lot from it. Stuff I guess I hadn't really understood as well as I thought I had.
He said, "We have the capacity to do wrong, we do not have the God given right to do wrong. Agency is the right to do what is right."
What a powerful statement that is. It really impressed me.
I walked away with a better understanding of Free Agency, it helped that he used a NBA anaylsis. He explained that when a player signs a contract to play for a team, say the Utah Jazz, they are under contract, they can't get mad and go make a basket for the other team just because the coach did something dumb. It is the same when we make covenants with the Lord. Our covenants are our contract. We can't go make a basket for the other team, we signed a contract. For me, it made more sense, it was an ah-ha moment.
I love learning gospel stuff that I have heard my whole life, but suddenly it clicks and makes more sense, and it just works.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Glad we're on the same team, Lee! You are amazing!

lackrik said...

Great analogy!

I love TOFW!

Mo said...

I've enjoyed reading about your spirtual high. It's so easy for us to let the business of day to day life get in the way of staying re-charged, connected, energized, etc. in the way of the good lord above.

Thank you for sharing a part of your story with all to see. Inspiration comes from sources we sometimes least expect and you've inspired me to continue my daily journey.

It's been a few weeks since I spent quiet time with my daily devotions, even with my desk side book, Daily Devotions for Women on the Go by Stephen Arterburn and Pam Farrel. Reading your entries propelled to get back with it. Thank you.

Lei said...

TOFW has been the same for me every time... making more sense of gospel basics!

Misty said...

That was my favorite talk. My dad's tried to explain the difference between agency and freedom my whole life and it finally clicked for me too! I love TOFW!