Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley

I am sitting here in shock. In disbelief with great sadness. Tears are streaming down my cheeks as I try to wrap my head around everything. Our beloved Prophet President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away this evening. My friend IM'ed me and asked if I had heard the news.. to which I replied what news? And she informed me that President Hinckley had passed away at 7:30 MST. I went to tell Randy and burst into tears. They are tears of joy, and of sadness. I am elated for the chance he has to be with his wife after nearly four years. But I am saddened that my children will not know him the way that I have known him. He is the first Prophet who I related to, and who truly made an impact in my life.

I was 14, almost 15 when he was called as Prophet. I loved hearing him speak. I had the chance to hear him speak in person at the Conference Center, what an amazing feeling and blessing it was. The moment he walked in you could tell he was truly a man of God. He challenged us as Saints to go out and to be better. He wanted us to try harder, to attend the temple, to enjoy our lives. He brought temples to many who lived so far away from them. He helped us to grow as Saints. I am saddened to not have his messages to look forward to, but thankful I can read the past ones.

I am sitting here thinking that there must be quite a celebration on the other side tonight. I imagine there is quite a party as he is having the chance to his beloved wife.

President Hinckley will never know the great impact he had on my life, and on many others lives. He inspired me to do good. I left each General Conference knowing that I could do better and it was doable. I felt uplifted. I have so much in my head, but I can't seem to express it all the way I want to. The world is missing a great man. The heavens have gained one.

God be with you 'til we meet again.

4 comments:

Terilyn said...

I know how you feel, Lee. Reading this made me remember my earlier day when I heard the news. What a great man this world has lost. What a celebration in Heaven today!

MadMadameMim said...

I love that as saints looking at such a life well spent we can more together and be joyful all at the same time. He was a great man, but his legacy lives on :).

Jen said...

You said it so much more eloquently than I did on my blog! I just didn't really know what to say, maybe I'll just steal yours for my blog. ;) We will all miss him so much.

Kim said...

He did make such an impact, didn't he. He's such a grand example to me!