Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Real Story

I decided after pondering all day yesterday to make an appointment with Little Man's teacher. Anyway I called his Spanish Teacher and set up an appointment, and thankfully he was willing to meet with me yesterday afternoon, once school was out! YAY! And even better Randy was able to go with me.

I went in trying to remember to not be short because I am my child's advocate but I also like his teacher. He wanted to know what Little Man had said the reasons for not being allowed to go to recess were and Mama Bear came out, and shortly after I started speaking I realized that my position was quite hostile looking, arms folded (just like you need at Church) voice slightly tense, and a little more intense than I meant to be. I thought whoa.. bring it down girl. And so I took a breath and tried to make sure I was calm collected and could explain myself without putting his teacher on the defense, because he is a great teacher and I was sure this would all be fine. Things came out calmly and collected, I was pleased. Because Little Man's teacher cannot speak English to him at all there is a big language barrier when discipline happens. Little Man was in trouble because when one of the para-eds was helping him she was wanting him to say a few simple words he knows well in Spanish and he decided to say Caca. Now my niece who is 2 calls everything Caca, and we have never considered it a bad word. His teacher informed us you know what that means, so we can't allow him to talk like that and ignore it. Randy and I laughed and looked at each other and said he doesn't have any idea that is bad in Spanish, he isn't trying to cuss, he is being silly and thinks it is funny. Mimicking his cousin. Mr. Solano looked relieved and shocked, but realized we don't speak Spanish and why would are kid be swearing in Spanish. He never swears in English.

We talked and got things straightened out. Little Man had gotten in trouble for good reason, but he didn't understand the reason. Now we have a notebook and he has our cells and email addresses to call if there is a problem so we can make sure Little Man is clear, and it will help the both of them. Going back to school after Christmas break has been an adjustment for him. But I am sure that with a little more time things will smooth out.

We left on a good note, Mr Solano grateful that we are involved and wanting to help, and me grateful that the teacher isn't going to punish my boy for throwing his hat. And the worry and stress was gone.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Yay, my invite worked. Oh school drama, sounds like it started early- glad you got everything cleared up!

Melissa said...

I'm glad you were able to get it all settled! And you did it calmly - bonus points for you!!

Jen said...

Ooooh--I hate when I have to deal with "discipline issues" at school. It's so hard to not think that my kid isn't the one at fault. :) Glad you could work it all out and in a satisfactory way for all parties concerned. Way to be a great mom!

MadMadameMim said...

You know I think your awesome. It's great that you got things worked out at school.

sleepless in oasis said...

There is nothing harder to control than that mamma bear instinct so great job handling it calmy. I'm with you in the fact that a whole recess is a hard punishment for a six year old.

Sonja said...

I also hate school discipline drama! Sounds like you handled it well. Recess is a tough thing to lose over a misunderstanding :(