Yesterday Little Man told me about a new friend at school. He was quite excited that he had a new boy in his class. I asked him about recess and who he played with and what they did. He played with this new boy and they played poker. Yep you read that right POKER. I about died. Umm.. what do you mean poker? He explained that they had indoor recess and he did in fact play poker. Oh joy, he is six, does this really happen at six. I was skeptical, wondering if this new boy just taught my son a new game. But I was wrong my son taught him. Great right? That is what every parent wants to hear. And so I proceeded to ask Little Man where he learned it. Guess where? His teacher. He asked she explained it. And in good enough detail that he understood it. Isn't that what we all want for our kids to learn at school from their teacher? He even learned to bet with it.
Today has been eventful. I emailed the teacher with my concerns. Her reply was not understanding of our concerns. I tried to figure out what to do. I wanted acknowledgement that this would not happen again. And it wasn't happening. I have went between wanting to pull my kid out of school all together. To wanting a new teacher, to just being ticked. What kind of teacher does this? Really, did you think this was a good idea? It's not. Not at all. Eventually I found myself, Randy, the Principal (who is so not your PAL) and the teacher in one office. And finally an apology was said on behalf of the teacher, who was doing everything she could to deny and ignore that she had done anything wrong, or anything at all. I am frustrated with the situation. Frustrated at the fact that the teacher wasn't honest with us. And frustrated that part of my son's innocence was taken by his teacher.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
I'm really sorry about all of this. This kind of thing is one of my greatest fears. I hope you get it all figured out soon.
Ok. Try not to be offended.
You're overreacting.
Try to keep in mind that our religion is the only one in which our prophet has come out and said, "no poker." Is your son's teacher LDS? No? Then how on earth would she know that explaining the game of poker was a bad thing? To most everyone in the world it's just a game. And actually, that's all it is. The problem with poker isn't the game. It's the betting and the money and the addiction that's the problem.
Try to think rationally. :D
This reminds me of when I took my 12 year old grocery shopping with me. We were in the checkout line and my son points to a can in the refrigerator case and says, "Oh mom, that stuff is so good! I had it at a party."
"What!?" I asked, "You had THAT?!"
It was the coffee flavored Monster drink. It was his friends birthday party. I explained how it's best not to try any beverage he doesn't recognize, especially at a party!
Love the PAL part! :) Enjoy your family today!!
I have to agree with Alissa. I understand you are upset, but I think this needs to be a teaching moment for your family, and not a hunt for the teachers head. Sometimes it is hard to live in the world and not of the world when things we hold very important are seen as something totally blase by the outside world (like coffee and card games.) It would be like us feeding a child's friend pork for dinner. No big deal to us, but what if they were an orthodox jew.
Im sorry you had a rough day. Lots of big hugs coming your way.
Alissa and Becky I totally understand and appreciate your comments. And I am not on a witch hunt at all. I think I was most upset that she explained the betting part along with it. And today is better. Thanks for your insight, I appreciate that.
Crazy! I would be upset too. I guess you have to be surprised at nothing these days!
So who won?????
Just kidding. That teacher needs to be dealt with.
Wow- thats a new one.
Post a Comment