Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Something else to be grateful for...

I am grateful for animals. I have always loved animals. When I was little I wanted every dog, cat, horse, cow, sheep, donkey, or pig I could find. Pretty much if it was furry I wanted it. I even wanted my own monkey. I did have my own horse, cow, sheep, cat and dog growing up.

The sheep was much to my Father's dismay. Seth and I went to a livestock auction and this cute lamb came through and no one was bidding on him so I did. Against what I was specifically told that morning, you can buy cows if you want, but do not buy any sheep. (I have always been a great listener, and super obedient!) He was cheaper than a hamburger, I thought we made out pretty well. My Dad gave me a look when we told him and then he went and picked up Doc, what I named my lamb. I loved him and we were able to get him tame and he was the sweetest thing. And I was 14 when I bought this little guy. He died about 6 months later. And my Dad fought hard to keep him alive but he didn't make it.

I had my horse Gypsy. She is the most beautiful Arabian. And our personalities meshed perfectly. My Mom used to say you couldn't have found a better match between horse and owner. Both in a hurry and always on the go. And then she had a sweet baby Jinx. I was sad when I had to sell them both. But when you move where you don't have property for them it happens. I felt like I betrayed them. I still know where they are and occasionally go see them. Although it breaks my heart. They are mine in my heart still.

I loved our cows too. The first time any of them were butchered I happened to see the butcher shoot my steer. I lost it. And I gave the butcher a look of death. I was horrified. My steer was mellow and tame and walked right up to him not knowing his fate. And I refused to eat any of his meat. And then one day I learned I had been eating it, it was by far the best beef I had ever eaten.

And I had my cats I loved and adored growing up. And several dogs.

But now we have two wonderful dogs that my kids love as much as I did when I was little. This is Izzy. She is going to be 3 next month. She is fat and lazy and we love her. She will play fetch all day long. She is Little Man's dog. (Randy like to claim her to, but let's be real.) We love our Izzy. She is always happy to come in lay and her bed and sleep. Occasionally looking around to make sure we didn't completely abandon her, but just hang out and dream about food.

And then we have Sage. She is almost 4. She is our green eyed lab. And she is the mellowest dog I have ever owned. I was completely opposed to labs, and then we bought her for Randy. She quickly became my dog, she is loyal and protective. She doesn't care to fetch, unless she is in the water. She is happy to be a lap dog. Little Miss claims her, and loves her. (But so do I.) I am grateful for our Heavenly Father creating animals for us to love. Grateful for the happiness and joy that they bring into our lives. And the joy they bring my children.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Me to. My life would not have been complete with the animals I've had. My mom always said that she's sure they'll be in heaven with us because they bring us joy....and heaven is all about having what brings us joy!

Amy said...

Such cute dogs!

Caren said...

Lee Ann, I love your cow story! Sad but funny, thanks for sharing!

MadMadameMim said...

I love that you love dogs. I'm no longer delusioned into thinking that I do. I almost wish I could make a crazy move to give me an excuse to get rid of mine with out feeling guilty.